How do I get at the washer on this tap please? There are no flats on the cover piece...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Please can someone help with how I dismantle this tap to replace washer. I've tried gentle prying of the end cap and it hasn't budged and there are no flats on the bit that I presume covers the tap part. Don't want to go in heavy handed. Thanks.
20231110_091352.jpg

Sponsored Links
Either the indice may actually unscrew (grips and a cloth) or one of the legs on the head may unscrew revealing a grub screw below

Thank you - I learned another new word 'indice'. I went round a few of the other taps to try to see if one was loose and yes the 'indie' unscrews. Have the handle off now, I guess it will be grips and protection to unscrew the other bit?
20231110_094903.jpg

Thank you - I learned another new word 'indice'. I went round a few of the other taps to try to see if one was loose and yes the 'indie' unscrews. Have the handle off now, I guess it will be grips and protection to unscrew the other bit? View attachment 320415
Looks like it could be a 1/4 turn type. If so, there's no washer to replace, have to change the cartridge.

Sponsored Links
Mission accomplished. Getting the descale treatment. Old fashioned washer type. Thanks again.
20231110_102324.jpg

Sure, here is the inside. I've only flipped the washer as not sure I had one the right size.
20231110_105308.jpg

Yup, standard brass compression tap, normal 1/2" washer required.

Whilst it's out, you can strip the tap and grease the large thread and O-Rings inside, if you're confident as to how is comes apart. Also check the seat inside the tap body and check it's not badly marked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back