Fitting a washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what it is, but the simplest of jobs in my house always turn out to be really difficult!

The cold water tap on my bathroom sink is leaking and needs a new washer. I've taken the handle off the top, and also the outer cover. But when it comes to removing the inner bit on the tap, it will not budge.
I've soaked the thing in WD40 overnight, but it just will not budge. I even put a length of pipe over the wrench handle to get some extra leverage, but when I tried to do this, I heard a horrific crack as if I had broken the sink.
I've had a good old look around the tap and there doesn't appear to be any damage anywhere, I'm guessing that the tap just moved slightly on the sink.

But please, please, PLEASE, how the hell can I get this poxy tap off to fit a new washer?

Cheers.

Mike.

Sponsored Links
you can apply heat, but if you do you will need to finish the job because the existing rubber washer will melt.

You need to get the tap off and put it in a vice otherwise you risk fracturing the basin ( if you haven't done so already)

Sponsored Links
2 hammers....one each side of the tap above the basin .....sharp tap with one ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back