How do I get cover a big scratch in my bathroom sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, my white sink in my bathroom has a big and fairly deep scratch in it. Does anyone know of a way to cover it up? Can you get enamel to patch it up? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
A scratch is unusual unless it is a plastic one. What's it made of? Is it in a vanitory unit, wall-hung, or on a pedestal?

BTW a common cause of damage to basins, is having a cupboard or shelf on the wall above it. Women like to fill these cupboards with heavy glass jars and bottles, which from time to time they drop into the basin until it is eventually broken. A good tip is not to put such a cupboard or shelf above a basin; put it to one side.

It's on a pedestal. I'm not sure how it happened as it's been there since I moved in and there was a mirror already there. I'm wondering if the scratch has been there since it was installed as like you say, it would have to be a hell of a bathroom cabinet to cause such damage.

I guess I'm after something like an enamel pen to cover it up, if such a thing exists.

Sponsored Links
You can buy white enamels for touching up ("Joy" is one brand) but as it is going to be constantly wet, it may not last well, and I expect you will always be able to see it. You have to use the finest artist's brush you can find, or even trim one to two hairs, and paint inside the mark, not the surface around it.

You might think about buying a new basin when you get fed up with the mark. Prices typically range from £25 to £250 but can be less or more. White is an easy colour to match.

Here's a basic one, but I bet your local merchants have plenty.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=97453&ts=66976

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back