How do I get rid of air lock??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Every time we turn the hot tap on in the house, there is a horrible noise (air lock) We do not have a tank in the loft - can somebody give us the procedure in getting rid of it!!

Cheers Ken

Sponsored Links
If you don't have a tank in the loft - is all your supply on the mains ? Combi boiler and mains cold. In this case it is unlikely to be an air-lock as mains pressure blasts its way through most problems.
Check also for loose pipes banging due to the pressure .

dal5band said:
If you don't have a tank in the loft - is all your supply on the mains ? Combi boiler and mains cold. In this case it is unlikely to be an air-lock as mains pressure blasts its way through most problems.
Check also for loose pipes banging due to the pressure .

I have a combi boiler (vokera) its only on the hot tap that i have the problem my supply is direct from the mains - is there any quick fix ?

Ken

Sponsored Links
Dan_Robinson said:
You problem is water hammer - run a search on the forum,. but in the mean time try turning your main stop cock down a few turns.

Thanks for the input, although I thought water hammer is when you turn a tap off - my problem is when the hot water is in flow i.e shower or sink tap - this is when i get a horrible noise

Ken

You can get the pressure of the water rattling pipes during flow, esply if you have a loose washer somewhere, or a long run of unsupported pipe.
Just try turning the stop cock down to reuce the flow and see if it makes a difference. It's a start.

(Normally to clear bad airlocks, you use a mains pressure hose pipe so your problem is not an air-lock).

dal5band said:
You can get the pressure of the water rattling pipes during flow, esply if you have a loose washer somewhere, or a long run of unsupported pipe.
Just try turning the stop cock down to reuce the flow and see if it makes a difference. It's a start.

(Normally to clear bad airlocks, you use a mains pressure hose pipe so your problem is not an air-lock).

Ok, will try reducing the flow tomorrow

Cheers
ken :)

Dan_Robinson said:
I bet you haven't tried my idea?. :rolleyes:
Is that the idea involving Kylie Minogue and a whole lot of whipped cream?

kb29r said:
Ok, will try reducing the flow tomorrow

Cheers
ken :)

Still no good with this - I tried reducing the stop cock to almost zero and I am still getting a loud banging noise

Can anyone help with suggestions fixes

Ken

Not enough flow through boiler

dv problem
pump problem
scaled plate heat exchanger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back