How Do I Handle This?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Below is a picture of the bottom of my early 1960s cast iron soil stack. It has been cracked further up for a while, but the freezing weather has resulted in a couple of large pieces falling off.

As a result, the smelly brown stuff is leaking out, causing a bit of a stink!!!
Due to redundancy, I need to replace the stack myself. I have done some plumbing over the years. My questions are;

1) How do I join the pipe where it goes into the concrete at ground level? Do I cut the pipe off flush with the ground level, or can I chip away some concrete around the pipe, and pull the pipe out of the ground?

2) What connectors are best for the bottom joint?

3) Is push fit best, or do I need solvent weld pipes and joints for the whole stack?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You need a large angle grinder to cut off ABOVE ground. You have to cut a slot about 200 mm high to enable the body of the grinder to reach for the rear of the c.i. pipe.

Then cut off above damaged part or remove the whole lot.

Use a rubber joint which is tightened onto the c.i. and the plastic with Jubilee clips.

Tony

hire some cast cutters to cut bottom.
A good plumbers merchant will sell everything you need inc the bottom joint.
Use pushfit for everything cus its easier except vent where it offsets around soffit as the wind may make it move.

Sponsored Links
If these "cast cutters" are the ones with a "chain" of cutting wheels then there is not usually enough space behind the c.i. pipe.

Tony

cut the soil pipe level to floor then insert one of these.
96056.jpg

look better than the rubber sleeve and jubilee clips.
54240.jpg

looks like theres room from photo, and I would rather use cutters then a angle grinder.

Hello Sorry to hijack this thread but the fitting you show in your post Seco is that suitable to fit into a thick walled clay pipe??? as i have had a bit of a disaster with mine (see my previous posting), and just wondered if that would get me out of the poop quite literally

Nick

Hello Sorry to hijack this thread but the fitting you show in your post Seco is that suitable to fit into a thick walled clay pipe??? as i have had a bit of a disaster with mine (see my previous posting), and just wondered if that would get me out of the poop quite literally

Nick

what have you done ?

I was trying to make the piece of pipe sticking out of my cloakroom floor lower so i could fit a connctor below the screed to convert to 110mm pvc but broke the clayware pipe, thought it would be easy to repair with it being supersleve or so i thought pipe , turns out to be hepsleve which has a thicker walled clay and cannot easily be adapted, i have taken the broken pipe out back to the nerarest coupling which is on the bend, but short of removing 12 inches of concrete i cannot get the coupling off of the pipe so am looking for something to go into the existing coupling or perhaps like your link straight into the clay pipe, but as its a bend i am a bit unsure if it would be suitable.

Nick

I was trying to make the piece of pipe sticking out of my cloakroom floor lower so i could fit a connctor below the screed to convert to 110mm pvc but broke the clayware pipe, thought it would be easy to repair with it being supersleve or so i thought pipe , turns out to be hepsleve which has a thicker walled clay and cannot easily be adapted, i have taken the broken pipe out back to the nerarest coupling which is on the bend, but short of removing 12 inches of concrete i cannot get the coupling off of the pipe so am looking for something to go into the existing coupling or perhaps like your link straight into the clay pipe, but as its a bend i am a bit unsure if it would be suitable.

Nick

What's the internal diameter of the existing coupling?

I wouldn't use anything with a neck in it. It's where stuff sticks.

have you broke the pipe altogether that gos into the coupling ?
or can you salvage a section.

as joining onto a bend not going to really be a option.

unfortunateley yes no pipe left , the old plastic coupling is still intact and the rubber seal is fine so need a bushing of some kind to reduce from thick walled clay to thin wall clay, i know they make double sockets to do this but not able to find a spigot to coupler

Nick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back