How do I join two cables together?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the name of the thing I need if I want to extend the length of a cable? Apart from another cable..

OK. Found that I need wire nuts. Is there any standard of wire nut to use? Or can I just get cheap ones off ebay?

Also, what do I need to change, if I disconnect a indoor light and want to connect it up to an external light? Apart from an outdoor light..

Sponsored Links
Much depends on current involved and the location of the join. From soldering and shrink sleeve, to a chock block and cover box there are many options. The Maintance free junction box is becoming popular as access is not required for inspection later. Looking here there are many options including filling with gel.

Any new wiring will likely need RCD protection. If already fitted not a problem but with older houses can present a problem. Much depends on how orignal is wired. Often there is no neutral fed to a internal light switch but with external normally we will switch both live and neutral mainly so if water gets in when off it will not trip other lights in the house.

Using a FCU RCD would cover but these although will work pushing the two buttons to switch on and off does not quite look the part.

Any electrician will likely do a mental risk assessment as he looks at the job and decide what is really required. Unless you can do that you should not be doing the job. We can quote regulations and laws like Part P but end of the day you want a safe job.

Do remember on of the Part regulations limits size of outside lamp I think to 150W so be careful not to buy a lamp only permitted with building control permission.

Will try lol.

Found the answers anyway. A terminal box for loft and wire nuts inside walls.

Wat is de naam van de wat ik nodig heb als ik de lengte van een kabel uit te breiden? Naast een kabel ..

OK. Vond dat ik draadmoeren nodig hebben. Is er een standaard van kabelmoer te gebruiken? Of kan ik gewoon goedkope degenen uit ebay?

Ook, wat ik moet veranderen, als ik het loskoppelen van een binnen-licht en wilt aansluiten op een extern licht? Naast een buitenzwembad licht ..

Sponsored Links
No, you don't need wire nuts, and shouldn't use them in the UK. They are acceptable in the USA but not here.
To answer your question we need to know what cable you want to extend; is it flexible or twin and earth, inside or outside, is it in a kitchen or bathroom...

Thanks for the info Eric.

Its, non-flexible, red black and earth. Currently connected to an redundant light, spare room, not kitchen or bathroom.

I'll extend it with a modern cable. An electrician advised me that my fuseboxs are outdated. So I don't think I have RCD protection.

Can I just use the existing indoor switch?

Do I need RCD CU, for FCU RCD?

I purchased terminal line connectors as well as wire nuts. I assume the line connectors are fine as, they are already some installed? Is there a reason why wire nuts are ok in US and not in UK?

I'm replacing asbestos walls and ceilings with plasterboard, in the whole house almost, so trying to move some of the electrics around to suit.

I'm also having to extend a lot of the wiring for light switches to match the 120mm height regulation. I know its only for new builds, but makes sense to conform to current standard.

There are many ways of extending cables by jointing.
The normally practise by the DIYer is to use a junction box of some kind.
Again there are also a few differing junction boxes, but you must remember to comply to the regulations the joint/junctions must be easily accessible for maintenance/repair, inspection and testing. So cannot be buried or hidden in hard to get to areas.
If you are intend to change socket and switch heights, you are going to have problems with cable lengths and my advise would be rather than join them replace with full un-jointed lengths.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Junction_Boxes/index.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back