How do I know if I need a power shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting the bathroom retiled and it's probably time to replace the shower unit which although it still performs just fine isn't fantastically well plumbed in (pipes showing) and looks fairly old. I think it's an old version of this

https://new-team-showers.co.uk/nt1000-xt-power-shower-white.html

I'm just wondering how I'm supposed to know if I'll need to replace it with another power shower, or I could get away with just a mixer.

I have a conventional boiler and hot water tank in the loft. I did have someone out to quote for a combi boiler replacement once and he said our water pressure was on the slightly low side, which I guess may be the reason for the existing power shower.

However when I browse online, there's a much smaller selection of power showers than other types, and they are a lot more expensive. So I just want to know if there's a way I can found out if I really do need one or if I can get away with not having to.

If I do have to go for a power shower, is this a decent example?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bristan-HY...aWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl&th=1

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Main difference with power showers and other types is that you get a more powerful shower than a mixer and certainly an electric

Can I assume you have gravity fed hot and cold water or just gravity fed hot water only?

If that's the case you can install a pump onto the feeds of the shower , which gives you the option of using a mixer and will give you a decent shower

How do I know if my cold is gravity fed or not? Installing an additional pump sounds more expense and faff than just getting a power shower?

If you have a water tank in the loft, and a power shower, you can reasonably assume that both hot and cold are low pressure from the tank. A mixer will not work well if hot is low pressure and cold is high, as the installing plumber will have known.

Put your thumb over the spigot of the tap or the hose of the shower, turn it on.

Can you hold back the flow?

Bristan make very good taps, but their showers are not as good as Aqualisa.

If you want to conceal your plumbing, remember you will have to smash the tiles and dig it out of the wall when it goes wrong.

Chromed copper pipes can look neat when exposed.

Sponsored Links
Surely, what you have is a power shower already ? It has a small pump in it and I think it mixes H & C then a single pump pumps the water.
The alternate is one where you have a twin impellar pump sited remotely which pumps H & C separately and then a mixer valve in the shower area.

Go for an Aqualisa digital shower instead - they look much nicer, are more reliable, are much quieter, and have a five year warranty. Easy to install too
That looks like a lovely solution but don't think I can justify the extra 280 quid.

Sounds like best sticking with the one I posted in the OP. Thanks all

Have a shop around for better prices for digital showers. The pumped Aqualisa Visage is £320 from Screwfix at the moment. Installation is usually very straightforward and extra cost of the shower is saved on installation costs. Its a far neater solution than the wall mounted power shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back