how do i lay laminate flooring by front door and stairs???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
I've decided to rip up the old carpet that has been in the hallway for the last 15 years and plan to lay some laminate flooring. I've never done this but from what ive read and various youtube videos that i have watched, it looks fairly straight forward. I just have a couple of questions before i start. To allow for floor expansion a 10mm gap will be made around the skirting boards to which a trim will hide but how do i do this with regards to the front door and stairs? It doesn't seem practical. Am i right in saying i should use some sort of blanking trim?? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sponsored Links
If your front door is uPvc then you can use a pice of 25mm architrave to cover the expansion gap, but if it's wood, then try B&Q or a local carpet store to see if they have a piece of wood coloured trim to go over it. For the stairs, you want some wood 25x10 to fit over the gap, and then the carpet can be tacked back down on to this wood.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back