How do I make a round hole in a single layer brick wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hia

I need to fit a vent for my tumble drier. To make the round hole in the wall do I really need to buy some kind of round, toothed drillbit, or is there another easier, less expensive way?

It doesnt need to be overly tidy as the rectangular outer vent thingy will be fixed over it. I am slightly worried about the wall crumbling away!

I am a complete novice by the way so no technical terms please!

Thanks in advance

Lucy

Sponsored Links
get a 12mm masonary drill bit 12" long.

Mark on the wall the size of the hole you want

Drill as many holes as you can around the circumference of the circle you drew on the wall.

Then cold chisel out the remaining circumference until the hole size you want appears!

Hey presto!

You can hire a core bit and drill, it makes a much better job with almost no risk of damage to the bricks when the drill breaks through.

When drilling through the bricks, drill from the side you want to look the neatest as when the drill comes through the other side of the brick, it will almost certainly blow some of the face off that side of the brick.

Sponsored Links
bathjobby said:
When drilling through the bricks, drill from the side you want to look the neatest as when the drill comes through the other side of the brick, it will almost certainly blow some of the face off that side of the brick.

Too true but if you have a pilot hole you can drill from both sides and it will look neat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back