How do i make this safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I removed some wood panel at the top of my stairs in a victorian house and found about 10 wires in what looks scary dangerous positions to me.

I know regs say it needs to be in earthed metal conduit if it is less then 5 cm from the surface of the wall.

The only way to put this in metal conduit i can see is remove every wire from the consumer unit... Take apart every part of the house.... And run them through. (obvs by an electrician)

So the only way I can think to make this safe is burry it further into the brickwork and plaster over.

Is this the safe way to do this?

Thanks for the advice.
IMG_20180312_153734.jpg
IMG-20180312-WA0001.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Can't make it out from your pic ,are all those cables below floor board level ?

Sponsored Links
Can't make it out from your pic ,are all those cables below floor board level ?
They are coming up from under the floor which is where the fuse box is under the stairs and then up through the wall.

That applies for new installations. Regs are not retrospective.
It's not doing things to regs that I care about... Its doing things safely. But often the two mean the same thing I guess.

I know regs say it needs to be in earthed metal conduit if it is less then 5 cm from the surface of the wall.
Only if the cables are outside of certain zones.

If those are within 150mm of the corner, then nothing else is required - fix them flat onto the brickwork and plaster over.

Only if the cables are outside of certain zones.

If those are within 150mm of the corner, then nothing else is required - fix them flat onto the brickwork and plaster over.

Thanks. Will do that then as it's within the 150mm. Is it worth putting some plastic trunking around incase any need to be pulled through in the future?

Is not what we are being shown typical of what can be found in millions of houses out there?

Kind Regards, John

Are you sure it wasn't one of the Amendments of 17th - i.e. relatively recently?

Kind Regards, John
Im sure as FLAMEPORT says that still only applies to some cables, ie out of zone and not all cables, im not aware of any Reg saying ALL pvc cables less than 50mm have to be in earthed conduit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back