How do I remove an old electric socket and make wiring safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

How do I remove an old electric socket and make the wiring safe?

I've got an old electric socket that I'd like to remove. I just wondered how i make the wiring safe?

I've got a junction box but not sure how I make the wires safe in it.

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
To be safe there must be some indication to other who come along latter that there are live cables present. Using a simple block connector and a blanking plate is the easy option.
ae235
ae235
Failing that you will need to remove the cables.

If it's a radial or a spur not too much of a problem but with a final ring circuit you must ensure the ring is not broken.

If you don't want to see a blank plate and you want to remove the socket entirely, the usual way is to terminate all the wires in a 30 amp junction box under the floorboards - if this is possible. A maintenance free junction box such as the one Hager make which is rated at 32 amp should do.

A lot will depend on if you have floorboards.

Ok thanks for your help.

I've got one socket on a ring and one a spur.

What connector would you recommend for the ring please?

And what terminal junction box would you recommend for the spur?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
The spur can be disconnected from where it is supplied from, ie: if from junction box under floor disconnect the live, neutral and earth. If this socket is never ever to be used again you can either remove cable from wall of cut back, then repair any plaster damage to wall and fill in where socket sunk. Or if another socket again disconnect the spur to the socket, the terminal ends can be put in to connection block or cut or removed completely.
If it may be used again in the future, then terminate all the conductor ends using a connection block, 20A or 30A will give you enough room for cable cores and blank socket off.
If you are disconnecting a socket from the ring final circuit, you can connect the ring up within the it's existing box, using 30A connection block live to live, neutral to neutral and earth to earth, then fit a blanking plate (you cannot plaster over this connection!)
If you wanted to remove completely, it would be easiest to remove cable from wall then join them underfloor by use of an MF junction box rated at 32A http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ803.html
(not a standard junction box) As the regulation will not allow standard junction boxes to be used in area that are not easily accessible, for maintenance and inspection and testing.
The other alternative and best way to keep you ring final complete, would be to remove cable from socket, identify where both legs are coming from and install a new cable across those accessories.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back