How do I plumb in a washing machine in place of a bathroom basin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a UK student who wants to install a washing machine in my uni dorm in order for my 5 flatmates and I to avoid paying £5 for the rental machines every time we need to wash something.

I'm planning to install it it in front of a bathroom sink (we have one to spare) by switching the water pipes to connect to the washing machine instead of the sink. The disused sink would then be repurposed as an outlet for the water runoff from the machine. There's a mains plug on the wall just outside the bathroom to power the washing machine.

I haven't purchased our washing machine yet and I intend to get it on the cheap from Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace. However, I don't want to buy a machine until I'm sure that the threading will fit the machine. This is especially the case because the washing machine will be crowdfunded by my flatmates so I don't want to make a mistake with our collective money.

Below is an image of the pipes at the intended installation site but I have no idea what threading those valves (silver things) are using. According to the internet, all washing machine inlet hoses are 3/4 BSP threaded. Is this the case? If so, will the valves in the image also be 3/4 BSP?

tempImageJE74ik.jpg

The compression nuts have lettering as follows: EN1254-2 15mm
The valve itself has 04-18 and ->15 markings but I don't know if this indicates threading.

Are these valves standardised to 3/4 BSP? If so, will I need a 15mm spanner to open these pipes & will the threading of the pipe fit with any washing machine I buy?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I’d guess those compression service valves are 1/2”

but you can get 1/2” to 3/4” adaptor

Are there any markings or ways for me to tell for sure what threading they have?

Sponsored Links
Where to start!
This is seriously dodgy!

Electrical appliance in a bathroom - definitely not a good idea.
If it is outside of the bathroom, it's likely to be in a fire protected corridor, again not a good idea.
Trailing leads, ummmm, not a good idea.

Uni dorm? - if this is an actual University hall, there is no way this would be allowed. The electrical supplies are usually limited in halls - items such as kettles and irons are prohibited in individuals rooms.
Installing an appliance such as a washing machine will be a serious breach of your residency agreement.

...and if you cause a flood by your improvised plumbing, that's going to cost an awful lot more than the launderette fees.

If buying an appliance from Facebook, or Gumtree, how are you going to ensure it is electrically safe? Will you get it PAT tested?

If you want cheap washes, get some powder and do a hand-wash in the sink!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back