Y Adaptor for Washing Machine - Constantly leaks...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Recently purchased a dishwasher and I plumbed it in a yesterday, I got one of these for the inlet; http://www.screwfix.com/prods/15272/Plumbing/Washing-Machine-Accs/Washing-Machine-Y-Piece-BSP

So that we can use the existing water feed from the washing machine to also feed the dishwasher.

I've connected that up to a 15mm > 3/4 inline stop tap, and put the dishwasher and washing machine onto each of the outlets, but as soon as the stop tap is turned on the outlets start to drip..

I've done both up as tight as I can, they get to a certain point then jump the threads and go slack - I thought it may be dodgy threads on the adaptor so I bought another from B&Q, but this one does exactly the same.. I've tried putting PTFE tape around the threads but they just don't seem to tighten properly and either jump off or just leak.

Am I being totally stupid and missing something or if there a better metal alternative I can buy from somewhere ??

I can screw either of the pipes from the dishwasher or washing machine directly to the 3/4 bsp on the stop tap and they tighten perfectly with no drips at all!!

Sponsored Links
heard a few people have had trouble with them in the past.
but i've never found an issue with them.

maybe a bad batch. :idea:
have you checked where the rubber sits that they are flat no burrs of plastic on the face edge ?

Sponsored Links
are there rubber washers fitted? - you'll be suprised by the amount of times I've gone to leaks on these and normal washing machine hoses that didnt have the washers fitted :eek:

Hey guys,

The side that leaks is the output side when the Y adaptor is fitted (where the dishwasher and washing machine plumb into)

Is there a T valve that outputs to 2x 3/4 so that I can simply remove the compression fitted one that is there at the moment and replace it?
I had to cut the pipework back already to get everything to fit, so if I can simply swap-out the stop valve for a T piece then it would be the easiest solution.
If I had to add it in addition to the current valve then it's going to be a right pain as it's in an ar$e of a location to get into..

Thanks for the help guys.

Edit: btw, yes the rubbers are fitted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back