How do I prepare marine ply base before fitting shower tray?

Err really...plenty of boats built out of the stuff. - why would you have leakage and rotting ... its not a given unless the tray moves. Marine ply does not flex in comparison to either cement or tile backer boards and ties in the joists to a single unit increasing rigidity of the subfloor. As other have said seal the wall gap with a good waterproof sealant and add a shower band. Personally I have never liked sticking a tray down, good bed of sand and cement.
yes. and they made boats out of hollowed logs, rushes, animals skins...I'm sure that the titanic was made from cardboard...but it was waterproof cardboard...marine cardboard they called it

Sponsored Links
12mm is absolute minimum when over-boarding with ply, with your set up you need 22mm minimum .
Thanks foxhole, we used two sheets of 12mm, so 24mm in total. What's the reasoning behind the 12mm minimum?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back