How do I remove Creosote from a Pine Garden Chalet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Pine Garden Chalet and bought some "light wood" Creosote to spruce it up as it hasn't been treated in years.
We tried it on a few panels of the wood but the Creosote is extremely dark and so is blatantly the wrong stuff to use. We now realise that we need to varnish the chalet with a proper pine treatment but therefore need to get off the Creosote that's currently on there.

What's the best way to remove it? Would one sand it down before staining/varnishing with a pine treatment or could one just go ahead and restain with the creosote underneath?

Any help at all would be appreciated as not sure what to do about the darkened wood.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unless you have had the container in your shed for 20 years and more, it will not be creosote, which has been banned as it is carciogenic and poisons the environment.

What does the product label on the container say it is?

Thanks for replying.

You're totally right it is "Bartoline Creosote Substitute" "Light Brown" which is apparently "Creocote Oil Based Timber Treatment".

Probably creocote? This is an oil based product and soaks into the timber. Unlikely you'll be able to shift it, and unlikely anything will adhere to it.

You'll probably be stuck with it, but it's defo a far better product than varnish, which can crack, peel off and trap moisture in the wood.
Another oil based product may still soak in, but will not mask the colour beneath and you'll almost certainly be creating a whole new (darker) shade.

It will fade with time, will probably lighten up within a couple of years. In the meantime at least you can be sure your chalet is protected from rot.

*ah beat me to it (I was right though!)

Sponsored Links
you could contact the makers and ask. It is probably penetrating and soaks in but you might get some off the surface by wiping with white spirit. I doubt you will be able to use a water-based stain until it has weathered and the wood is eroded and dry.

I have used Cuprinol Shed and Fence Preserver which is a spirit-based anti-rot treatment available in various colours. You have to keep shaking or stirring it as the tint sinks to the bottom.

Agree, I would not use varnish. Mostly I use water-based shed and fence stains which leave a waxy water-repellent coloured film. They do not prevent rot, though, in the same way that a spirit wood preserver does.

Is there really no point in me trying to sand the area down?

I don't want to ruin the wood work but I really need to get this stuff off as it's only on a bit of the chalet or at least reduce it down so it's paler and another treatment can be put on top.

Is there a possibility that sanding might work or am I flogging a dead horse?

you might be lucky but I would certainly try wiping with white spirit first. This will also remove some of the oiliness that will clog your sandpaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back