How do I remove this shower valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

The temperature valve on my shower has become very stiff so I am trying to remove it to descale or replace. Looking online for tutorials it seems I needed to remove the back plate which I have done. I now can't work out how to remove the middle valve as it's different to all the ones in the videos.

Pictures attached. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 106
Sponsored Links
Hi Gaz

I have removed the C clip but I'm still stumped as to what to do next? I can't work out what bit comes away from the other and don't want to damage the various threads.

The C clip will probably only hold the centre spindle into the thermo valve. Do you have a make/model of the concealed shower? Might be on the controls.

The whole valve need to be removed, if it's much like other valves then the valve will unscrew out of the body of the shower.

Sponsored Links
Decent pair of grips on the body of the shower valve, behind (nearer to the wall) the larger set of splines. Unscrew valve in the usual way (anti-clockwise looking at splined end).
Don't damage the splines. When replacing, make sure you do it up tight, and re-fit the temperature stop cam (usually black plastic), otherwise its possible to unscrew the valve again if someone hefty turns it fully hot!

Alternatively make up special tool which is a steel tube, with outside diameter equal to inside diameter of shower body, inside diameter equal to outside diameter of shower valve, with a slot about 10mm deep cut across the end, the width of the outside diameter of shower valve. Length about 150mm with a 6mm tommy bar hole through the non slotted end.

There are no markings anywhere on the controls or shower so I can't establish the maker. Nothing is budging so I've put it back together for now and will contact a plumber. I don't want to end up breaking or scratching it trying to save a few bob.

Thanks to everyone for your input though, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back