How Do I Secure My Toilet Pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I expect, and hope, that there is a simple explanation for this problem but I am totally stumped, as is a plumber I have employed. I have bought a contemporary looking close coupled toilet which is designed to sit tight up against a wall. It is to sit on a tiled timber floor. The problem I/ we have is that the securing holes for the screws are situated within the body and at the rear of the pan , not visible on the exterior face of the toilet, if that makes sense. It would be possible to drive home screws using a very long, thin screwdriver through the holes at the top of the pan designed to site the cistern, but once the pan is secured, it is then not possible to then secure the cistern to the pan. Obviously the cistern can be secured ito the pan beforehand but then I am not able to access the screwholes when the toilet is palced against the wall.
Apologies for this epic question but I am trying, and probably failing miserably, to explain the issue in as much detail as possible. Can anyone help please??

Sponsored Links
If it's of the type I'm thinking of, you insert the nylon plugs (provided) into a couple of holes in the top of the pan and screw through the cistern into these using the washers and screws again provided.

If there are no screw holes to the side of the pan then i suggest if the floor is solid and stable sit the pan on a decent bead of silicone all round the base and level it. Use wdges if necessary and then fill in any holes left by wedges afterwards and clean the bead up neatly.
If the cistern is secured to the wall then the pan will not go anywhere but can be removed if needed.
I have done several like this and never had a problem. It is not advised to use a mortar bed as you cannot remove the pan without breaking it.
If it is being secured to a tiled floor it will be fine in normal use but use a thinnish bead just so you can get it level and don't press down too hard. Leave it for 24 hours and job done.

any chance of some pics, I kind of see where you are coming from but a pic will help greatly.

Sponsored Links
If there are no screw holes to the side of the pan then i suggest if the floor is solid and stable sit the pan on a decent bead of silicone all round the base and level it. Use wdges if necessary and then fill in any holes left by wedges afterwards and clean the bead up neatly.
If the cistern is secured to the wall then the pan will not go anywhere but can be removed if needed.
I have done several like this and never had a problem. It is not advised to use a mortar bed as you cannot remove the pan without breaking it.
If it is being secured to a tiled floor it will be fine in normal use but use a thinnish bead just so you can get it level and don't press down too hard. Leave it for 24 hours and job done.

Freddy,
Thanks mate. Personally I cannot think of any other method other than the one you suggest but it does beg the question of why the manufacturers design the toilet with srewholes if they can't be accessed. I will take your advice re the silicone v mortar if nobody is able to suggest a way to srew the pan down. Thanks again. Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back