How do I set a British Gas RC1 Themostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved to house that has
a BG RC1 Thermostat, which only has a + and - buttons on it.
When I try to increase the temp the word SET comes up on the display
but then disappears after a few secs.

I have reset and installed new batteries into the Thermostat and I know the receiver is getting a signal from the thermostat.

But I can't for the life of me understand how I can SET the temp I require without an set button, can anyone help me?

Ginger Benn :(

Sponsored Links
i believe set just means thats the temp youve set it too. does the heating come on at all?

find the reciever box prob in airing cuboard it has learn and overide written on it, turn the room stat up and down and see if the recieve light flashes if it doesnt the room stat is not communicating with the reciever. Press the overide button and the green light should come on and fire the boiler if boiler doesnt fire you could have a fault with the heating, if it does fire then the room stat needs recommisioning.

1. Turn electrics off to boiler/system
2. remove batts from room stat and let display fade
3. turn power back on and press overide button on reciever, green light should appear and boiler fire.
4.press button 1 (lower) then 2 and hold both depressed you should see a red light flash the reciever is then in learn mode.
5. stand a meter away from reciever then insert right battery drawer then left light should flash on reciever then go out.
is now recommisioned so as you turn stat up and down red light will flash , when you get to a tempreture that requires the boiler to fire a little flame picture will appear on stat so then the boiler should fire and the green light on the reciever should be on.

To replace the batteries.....On the back of the RC1 lift up the tabs on the bottom of the casing and pull them down away from the main body firmly to reveal the two battery trays.

To pair with the WR1 ( the wall mounted receiver normally next to the boiler):

Pull out both battery trays on the RC1 and leave the display fade for 1-2mins.
Turn the power off to the boiler then turn back on after 10secs & turn boiler thermostat up to max. The red light should be lit on the reciever labelled 'Recieve Alarm'.
Press the overide button on the reciever & the green 'heating on' should now be lit.
On the 'learn mode' buttons 1&2- Press and hold button 1 then 2 and hold them both down together. The red light should flash quickly for a couple of seconds and then go out, release both buttons, red & green lights should now be lit.
Hold the RC1 in your hand and stand away from the WR1 but still be able to see it. Push in the battary trays firmly in this order- First the side which has the RC1 label on the front of the unit then the other tray.
The red light on the reciever will flash for a few seconds then go out.

The pairing should now be complete & you can adjust your boiler thermostat to your usual setting. If the red light stays on then it hasnt worked.

Sponsored Links
SET is the temperature you setting that stat to, it'll then revert to the current room temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back