How do I strengthen summerhouse roof, prevent a collapse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I really need some advice for what kind of restraint straps I should use to increase the joist strength for a roof garden on a summerhouse, that's being built right now.

The joists are 38mm x 63mm and the unsupported span is just under 2400mm from front to back. The joists are in the upright position, as they are supposed to be, and there are 4 joists that don't have any support, except at the ends. I might use joist hangers to secure the joists, or extra secure them, to the outer frame of the roof structure and maybe angle brackets and nail plates to secure the top frame as a whole to the four walls.

The same wood will be used for a small number of noggins and the joists will be faced with topside and underside boards before the garden structure is added. One of the questions I have is do I need to strengthen the joists at all?

The unsupported area is about 5.7 square metres and the max weight of the wood, an additional roof light and a rain-laden roof garden may exceed 100kg.

Maybe I've answered my own question.

Would I need to span the entire length with the straps, or just the central section – middle 600mm, 1000mm or 1200mm? What about two 1000mm straps, on either underside, for each joist?

Heavy duty or light duty straps?

Could I strengthen the sides/upright face of the joists instead, so I can leave the underside free for fixing the ceiling boards/plaster board/tongue & groove?

Would builders' band be sufficient? I wouldn't have thought so, but it would be ideal and cheap too.

Ideally I'd love to find some cheap galvanised steel strip, cut it to size and drill lots of holes myself, to save some money.

A lot of questions, so thanks for any help anyone can give.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

The summerhouse is in an enclosed space - with full height walls, about 6 inches from three of the sides. I guess wind load could add a little, but it won't be much, as I'm in a very built-up area. The ground it sits on gets very little snow, owing to its position, but hopefully a margin of safety should protect against any additional weight. The overwhelming majority of the roof's load will be the frame and sedum/moss roof.

What is the procedure with restraint straps? How far in from the sides should they be and what load can they support?

Design changes can be made easily as nothing is too far advanced.

Grateful for any advice.

You could tie the bottom of each 'A' frame with stainless steel rigging wire tensioned with turn-buckles, ships chandlers would supply the necessary bits.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Sorry, stupidly forgot to mention that the roof is single pitch, with a 6 degree downwards slope, from front to back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back