How would a uPVC conservatory be strengthened to support a solid roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to have a solid roof put on our lean to conservatory which currently has a poly roof. Im considering all options, perhaps the cheapest of which being to have a timber deck constructed and covered in EPDM. But Ive also considered a tiled room system using aluminium joists and metal/synthetic tiles.

Ive seen many places providing solid roof installation services, so I wondered how they would go about strengthening an existing upvc conservatory so it would support the weight of either a timber deck or tiled roof.

Would it be just something as simple as external posts, or something more discrete? My connie has dwarf walls around 3 sides which are fully glazed all round, with a french door front middle.

Had a quote of £3.5k to supply a kit for a 4x3.5m tiled roof, £7k for the roof and new frames & door, so would then need to add labour costs.

Even wondered if you could buy aluminium joists which would be lighter and stronger than 6x2 4m joists. Cant seem to buy just the aluminum structure roof kits, so I guess you would just buy the loos joists.

Sponsored Links
From what I have seen, no strengthening is required if you use the new lightweight tiles especially designed for this type of thing. They just build a new timber roof structure on top of your existing windows etc.

I had expected that 3.5m 6x2 or 8x2 could be very heavy on a upvc frame. Some installers have siad Id need supports, others havent.. Im looking at either a full timber deck then epdm, insulation then maybe plasterboard, or also started to look at the Guardian system.

My aim is to have a space that is actually usable, other than just a store.. suffers the usual poly roof problems that conservatories have!

Sponsored Links
A full timber deck with joists, insulation, OSB and epdm will be a bit too heavy for an old conny, the guardian roofs are lightweight and better thermally than an 8 inch joist with insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back