New Conservatory Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small lean-to type conservatory, built around 2000, and because it gets too hot in summer and too cold in winter I would like to change the roof (and to stop it springing leaks!). I have seen these new roofs which stop the conservatory getting too hot etc., and wonder if anyone can advise what I should be looking for when I enquire of suppliers. The roof is about 9' x 10'. I will have to get someone in to do it, but need to know what is the best buy and so on. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you. And a Happy New Year to all. Dee.

Sponsored Links
Once you have dealt with the roof, how do you propose dealing with the rest of the glazing regards heat loss etc?

I am not too worried about the heat loss through other glass. The roof was originally fitted very badly and I have repaired many leaks myself. Also the angle of the roof doesn't seem right as the rain water puddles badly at the lowest end without running off into the gutter. In the summer it gets too hot to use the room, I don't really use it during the winter, so I thought as I really need to get the roof sorted out, I may as well get the new type of roof so that I can use that area during the summer. Dee.

Sponsored Links
I want to stay with glass (or whatever it is made of), I saw it on the television last week on DIY SOS where they put up a conservatory with this new type of roof glazing. Dee.

Thank you all for your replies. On DIYSOS they mentioned solar glass for the roof, I don't know what the difference is between this and polycarbonate. Does anyone know which is best? Many thanks, Dee.

Polycarbonate or glass. It will still be too hot in the summer, especially if you are South facing.

You need some roof blinds to stop the sun penetrating the conservatory.

Andy

Benefits of Glass Over Polycarbonate for Conservatory Roofs

* Glass provides a better view than polycarbonate
* Self-cleaning glass is much safer for hard to reach places such as conservatory roofs
* Glass, especially Pilkington Activ Blue provides improved solar control
* A glass roof is much quieter than polycarbonate in rain and hail

I copy/pasted the above from a web-site of some conservatory manufacturer. If you google for "solar glass polycarbonate", it was the second link. The other links also give useful information.

Solar glass is a glass with a special coating which stops some of the heat passing through the glass. Pilkington got some award for their solar glass. Also they make self-cleaning glass, which should be very low maintenance. But it comes at a price. We were told when quoted for changing our windows that the self-cleaning glass is about twice dearer and it is usually used for conservatory roofs, skylights, and other places difficult to clean.

Other options are to stick some film to normal glass or to add solar insulation to polycarbonate. I would imagine it is less effective though.

In my imho, the best course of action is to google for more information about the pros and cons of the various options and to contact several installers for quotations. Then you can decide what to go for.

VV2806 - thank you for all the information. I will do as you suggest, investigate more and get quotes, I would prefer the solar but it will depend on cost. I do have roof blinds as another person suggested but they are not that effective. Thank you again for your help, Dee.

And the question still remains.

Once you have dealt with the roof magnifying the heat, how are you going to deal with the windows?

As I said previously, the roof has to be replaced so it may as well be replaced with suitable materials so I can use the conservatory during the summer. I have the garden door to open during the summer as well to help avoiding the intense heat. I am not worried about loosing heat through other glazing during the winter as the conservatory is not used then. Dee

As I said previously, the roof has to be replaced so it may as well be replaced with suitable materials so I can use the conservatory during the summer. I have the garden door to open during the summer as well to help avoiding the intense heat. Dee
This will never happen, you will still be roasting in there on hot days and will have to have the door open. This magic material you imagine does not exist.

VV2806 - Thank you for all the positive information you gave me. I have googled as you suggested and got a lot of very useful information on different types of roofs. It all looks very promising and I now understand the differences between the alternative materials.

Thank you again for your positive answer. It is nice to know there are people out there with constructive help and advice. Dee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back