How do I tell if this post if load-bearing?

Joined
3 Sep 2011
Messages
144
Reaction score
7
Location
London
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I’m fairly certain this post is load bearing, but if it’s not, I’d like to remove it. What steps do I take to figuring it out? The string goes directly into the post, but that’s Bot different to the other floors in the house that don’t have the newel running into the ground.

IMG_0088.jpeg
 
Thanks, could you give me an idea of why you're saying that? I don't doubt you at all, but I'd like ot know myself what I'm looking at, because the structure is identical to my upstairs stairs, and it doesn't have the long newel post.

In the event it's definitely not removable, I take it it's OK to cut it off and then replace with a thinner steel column? I'm making an under stairs area and it would be great if this newel wasn't there because it's messing heavily with the aesthetic, and if I can cut it and put a much thinner piece of steel there instead, I can incorporate it into the design
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top