How do I undo this waste nut, which is in a tight spot?

I suspect gripfill may have been used dilalio! We're now using a guitar string because the cutting wire was too thick and improvising with pencils as handles, until some arrive on Saturday! To be fair, I did manage to get a little clockwise and counter-clockwise movement this morning. I had wondered if using our heat gun might help.

Keep manipulating and cutting it should come away eventually. Wouldn't use a heat gun but you can perhaps put a plug/bung in the basin waste and fill it with boiling water. Might soften up the adhesive enough.
You could also tape up the worktop for protection and use some plastic tiling wedges, tapped in, bit by bit, around one half of the basin, as you cut. Guitar string around some dowel with electrical chock block to secure the loop of wire back on itself would enable you to get a good grip and sawing action.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all who responded to my post, I finally managed to remove the sink and replace the waste. I used Plumbers Mait under the flange of the waste where it sits in the sink and around the waste on the underside of the sink. A brass backnut was bought and installed and the sink fixed in place with a bead of silicone. No leaks on the first test, but it's my first DIY plumbing attempt, so we'll see. Have a lovely evening all and thanks again.:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back