how do i wire in sunken spot lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just put 9 spotlights in my bedroom ceiling but i dont know how to wire them up to the existing main power supply, they are transformer free and are 50w double insulated so must not be earthed, I would rather wire them individualy as the little terminal box's on the lights are a bit small really for wiring them in a daisy chain with one cable in and one cable out but i could do if this is the easier option, But can someone explain to me in laymans terms how to do this and what sort of junction box it is i need to connect the main live and neutral cable into nine other cables for each of the spotlights, Pics and diagrams would be helpful. I know you should really use 1.0 cable but as i have nine light's would 1.5 cable be better or just stick to 1.0. Many thank's.

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:parallel

Remember to keep the earths connected, even if the lights themselves don't need them, others in the future might, and the cable does.

If you want to connect them in a star from a JB then:

1) Unless of a maintenance-free type it should remain accessible for inspection & testing.

2) It'll need to be capable of taking that many conductors.

1mm² will be fine, but do the manufacturers instructions say anything about heat resistant cable?

What's above the bedroom?

Loft?

Another room?

Another flat?

Depending on what's there, and therefore how the regulations impact you, now that you've cut all those holes in the ceiling, what have you done about the following parts of the Building Regulations:

B

C

E

L

?

It's very unlikely that you can just cut holes in bedroom ceilings and leave it at that - you can't just ignore things like fire regulations, condensation problems, insulation, noise....

Lastly - 450W for 1 room? That's utterly bonkers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back