How do you kill the root of a small tree that has grown in a garden wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed today that the top two courses of bricks in my backyard wall were separating. When I looked at my neighbour's side of the wall I discovered that there was a small tree growing out of the side of the wall. I'd been aware of the tree there because it was well above the height of the wall but I assumed it was growing out of the ground! My neighbour works away for months at a time and has now been away since February, so I climbed into his back and sawed the tree off about 3 cm from the wall. But I don't want it to grow back so I was hoping that someone could recommend something to kill the root. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
i drilled mine with wood drill and filled with neat Gallup Home & Garden Glyphosate 1L also have used neat Proper Roundup.

Then put a plastic top on of stump to keep animals away.

i drilled mine with wood drill and filled with neat Gallup Home & Garden Glyphosate 1L also have used neat Proper Roundup.

And?
What happened to it?

It died back , no more growth, it took a bit of time but worked for me, done this on a dozen of stumps.

Sponsored Links
Glyphosate is normally sprayed onto the leaves where it is translocated to the roots & kills them. With small plants you don't need much but with a tree of any size it takes a lot to kill the roots.

You can get 'capsules' of concentrated glyphosate, where you drill a hole, put the sealed capsule in and then tap it home to release the glyphosate. Thus it goes just into that tree.
https://www.green-tech.co.uk/weed-k...al-weed-control/ecoplug-max-tree-stump-killer

AFAIUI, the maker only sells large (commercial) packs of these but I have seen them on Ebay in much smaller packs.

The point there is to get it into rather than just on the tree. If you just paint it on the surface then sap may wash it away. Hence @pidgeon1 said he drilled a hole and filled that.

Edit: This will kill the tree roots and stop it from growing, it will not remove it. So however much the wall has moved it will stay that much moved.

I killed off some some small trees (4-6" diameter) and every time I checked they were still solid and I forgot about them. subsequently I went to do some work in that area and found that the roots had rotted enough for them to be pulled out by hand. That was after seven years.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

Thanks I'll try that.

Glyphosate is normally sprayed onto the leaves where it is translocated to the roots & kills them. With small plants you don't need much but with a tree of any size it takes a lot to kill the roots.

You can get 'capsules' of concentrated glyphosate, where you drill a hole, put the sealed capsule in and then tap it home to release the glyphosate. Thus it goes just into that tree.
https://www.green-tech.co.uk/weed-k...al-weed-control/ecoplug-max-tree-stump-killer

AFAIUI, the maker only sells large (commercial) packs of these but I have seen them on Ebay in much smaller packs.

The point there is to get it into rather than just on the tree. If you just paint it on the surface then sap may wash it away. Hence @pidgeon1 said he drilled a hole and filled that.

Edit: This will kill the tree roots and stop it from growing, it will not remove it. So however much the wall has moved it will stay that much moved.

I killed off some some small trees (4-6" diameter) and every time I checked they were still solid and I forgot about them. subsequently I went to do some work in that area and found that the roots had rotted enough for them to be pulled out by hand. That was after seven years.
Thanks for that. I see on ebay you can buy one capsule for £6.99, cheers.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back