How do you leave the electrics when you go on holiday

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When going on holiday my mum always used to unplug all the electric applicances and lights, make sure all the switches were in the off position and got my dad to unplug all the fuses at the consumer unit.

We used to laugh a lot at this behaviour as being a little over the top.

However, I was interested in what a group of professional and amateur electricians do with regards to going on holiday and how they leave their electrics.

Sponsored Links
I must admit, nothing!

But if there is stormy weather, it is advisable to unplug stuff, including aerials and telephones.

i personaly always turn every thing off at machine[tv vidio ect]

reasons for not turning the power off

fridges and freezers

securety lights [internal external]

frost settings on your central heating wont work

alarm systems will fail

your radio phone wont work till it charges up again

at my age it takes me a whole day to reset all the electronic gadgets :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Don't forget to check things like filter coffee machines. The carbonised mess can be a swine to clean out. On the day of my wedding, I also managed to forget to turn the grill off (was pretty hung over at the time). When we returned from the honeymoon, the grill pan had buckled beyond redemtion. All it was fit for was grilling bannanas. It could have been worse, I had considered doing myself some chips that morning.

Nowadays, I just leave the wife to check the house out. She wouldn't trust my judgment anyway.

Sponsored Links
I dont do anything.

Who unplugs their kettle after every use?? When I work in houses, I always see kettles and toasters unplugger - mine are all plugged in ready for use!

Once left a ring on the hob on very low - placed a roll of kitchen paper on it no realising, and when I came out of the shower, the house was full of white smoke! Fitted smoke alarms that weeked.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back