How do you make a loft hatch bigger?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope somone can help.

Got a loft hatch that's about 45cm x 70cm. Bit of squeeze to get the suitcases up and down and I'm looking to get a loft ladder fixed to.

So, I want to widen the hatch to fit a loft ladder that needs a 120cm x 70cm opening.

Is it just a case of fitting wooden blocks at right-angles to the joists and then cutting away the parts of the joists to make the gap bigger? Is there a particular wood to use?

Then do I just cut the celing plasterboard to make the gap and hey presto, job done?

Any assistance would be appreciated. :)

Sponsored Links
You will have to remove and fit new joists to accomodate and support the new loft hatch and trimback the plasterboard.
Do you have a particular loft hatch in mind?

Any photo?

Is it truss frame type? (gang nail plate on the joints)

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.

"Truss frame type"....sorry, not too clued up on the terms. In basic terms the loft has joists running from front to back of house about 30cm apart.

I'll get a photo this weekend so it's easier to see.

I was looking at fitting the SLPI1207 (Ladder and hatch) from the Loft Shop.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
sifly said:
"Truss frame type"....sorry, not too clued up on the terms. In basic terms the loft has joists running from front to back of house about 30cm apart.

A truss frame type will likely have loads of diagnoals struts in the loft space. There are truss roof which are designed to take lofts, but your loft would be a proper attic room if that was the case.

If you can walk around your loft without anything too much in the way (except junk! :) ) you probably have a traditional cut rafter roof. In this case you have no problem putting in trimmers (extra pieces of wood between the joists) and cutting a joist. With a trussed roof, the size of the rafters will be the minimum (for cost reasons) and they are not designed to be cut or modified in any way at all. Saves money when building the house, makes it extra expensive to modify the house later.

The other clue for a trussed rafter is the "gang plates" which will look like metal plates at all the joints in the rafters rather than ordinary nails.

Thanks HandyJon,

Sounds like a traditional cut rafter roof then going on your description. There are a couple of large beams going front to back that you have to watch out for, but apart from that you can easily walk around everywhere (it's about 3 metres high!) apart from the eaves where it slopes of course.

Do you have any suggestions on the type of wood I should use as a trimmer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back