How do you shut the water for the cold tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the photo, you see the water fillin-in valve on the vertical pipe. When it is fully closed, the water still fills into the tank. In fact the round rotable valve seem have no effect on the water fill at both closed or open position.
And there is another plastic pipe connected to the top of the pipe above the valve - maybe this is the pipe that fills the water into the tank? But I cannot find the stop valve. Where could I find the stop valve for it?

Would it be fed from the immerse water boiler in the kitchen downstairs? The boiler is very near the incoming main water pipe at the corner of the kitchen under the kitchen worktop. (very difficult to access). I can see a rotable valve near the immerse boiler but cannot reach it from outside of the cupboard right now.

52535797164_11360232d9_c.jpg

Sponsored Links
The tank would be fed from the mains ,turning off your cold mains stopcock would isolate it.
Your picture doesn't show much clarity ,and there may or may not be an isolation valve near the tank. Don't know what valves you have tried as none are visible.
The tank has a ball cock that controls water flowing into it ,which can be tied up to stop water entering the tank.

The tank would be fed from the mains ,turning off your cold mains stopcock would isolate it.
Your picture doesn't show much clarity ,and there may or may not be an isolation valve near the tank. Don't know what valves you have tried as none are visible.
The tank has a ball cock that controls water flowing into it ,which can be tied up to stop water entering the tank.

Sorry the photo quality was so poor in dark light. I got another camera, and took more photos with the flash light.

52536205338_c3cb0d1fa3_c.jpg

The mains water valve was totally closed (so there was no water coming out from the kitchen mains tap), and the fill-in valve of the cold water tank in the loft as seen in the photo was also closed. But the water was still filling into the tank, when the upstairs tabs were open and toilets flushed, and when the float valve was pressed down. I am looking for the valve which will totally stop the water to the cold water tank. Where could it be located?

Last edited:
Why does the filling valve in the photo has no effect either when opened or closed for the water fliing into the tank? Would the plastic pipe on the top of the valve have something to do with it? I don't know where the grey plastic pipe is connected to / coming from, as it goes down to the loft floor, and then buried into the fibre glass insulation layer.

52535220592_b83b6b522b_c.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can you expose the total vertical pipework ,I can't make out why the pipe rises higher than the top of the tank ,and the wheel head valve looks like it has a drain cock attached.
If the valve that you turned off doesn't close the mains supply ,it may just be a branch to the kitchen tap.
If all else fails ,closing the boundary stopcock outside the premises would close the supply and allow you to fit an isolation valve on the pipework to the loft tank.
It's quite an odd set up that you have .

Why does the filling valve in the photo has no effect either when opened or closed for the water fliing into the tank? Would the plastic pipe on the top of the valve have something to do with it? I don't know where the grey plastic pipe is connected to / coming from, as it goes down to the loft floor, and then buried into the fibre glass insulation layer.

Hard to see what's going on, but the fill to the tank wouldn't normally go up above the tank like that. Is there an inverted U-bend hiding behind? Are you sure that's the fill pipe, not a combined vent/system fill pipe? (as distinct from the tank fill).

If that is indeed the mains cold water supply to the tank it shouldn’t have a gate valve on it, there should be either a stopcock or 1/4 turn valve

Last edited:
Yup, what I thought of as mains water valve wasn't the one. It was just the valve for the kitchen cold tap.
There is another valve deep under the worktop right at the corner. I can barely reach to the valve, and when tried to turn it off, it wouldn't budge.

I will take off the pipe wrappings to see what is hiding in it. Will come back with what is revealed. Yes, this is one of the most puzzling DIY job I have ever undertaken.

That blue valve is a gate valve on the rising main and should shut the water to the Cold Cistern ball valve but if it doesn't stop the water it means it's broken and needs replaced. They do have a habit of seizing up over long periods of non use and then the stem snaps inside when they're tried.

The one in the kitchen will have seized too by the sounds of it.

Shut off the mains outside (bottom of the garden path/driveway/pavement) and make sure the cistern stops filling, take that valve off and replace it with a lever valve. Do the one in the kitchen at the same time.

Are you sure that’s not the tank outlet? What’s the copper pipe at an angle I can see to top right if the pic?Do you have a shower pump ?

Are you sure that’s not the tank outlet? What’s the copper pipe at an angle I can see to top right if the pic?Do you have a shower pump ?

The copper pipe at an angle just hangs above the water in the tank. I think it is the vent pipe for the hot water from the immersion boiler, which sends hot water to the hot taps.

The copper pipe at an angle just hangs above the water in the tank. I think it is the vent pipe for the hot water from the immersion boiler, which sends hot water to the hot taps.
Should have it’s own tank.

Should have it’s own tank.

I only see 1x cold water tank in the loft. And there is a hot water immersion type boiler in the downstairs kitchen.
I will take off the wrapping around the tank, and see if there is another tank for it, but I am doubtful.

I only see 1x cold water tank in the loft. And there is a hot water immersion type boiler in the downstairs kitchen.
I will take off the wrapping around the tank, and see if there is another tank for it, but I am doubtful.
I think you have a hot water cylinder ,with an immersion heater element in it ,and that does not need another tank in the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back