How do you stretch and reattach springs on Everest sliding sash windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Composite 2.jpg
Pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/9CWqCUq

Hi

I have an Everest PVCu sliding sash window with springs.

One of the springs on the lower sash has become detached. The bottom end of the spring (picture 1) has come out of the bush (picture 6) that it usually slots into.

I couldn't stretch the bottom end of the spring down to reach the bush and slot it back in, so I tried unscrewing it from the top fitting (picture 3). I have now slid the whole spring down and managed to reattach the bottom end (pic 5), but I still can't stretch the top of the spring back up the 50cm required to reattach it at the top (pic 3).

I don't think that the spring is defective (I have three spares and they are all the same - I cannot stretch those springs at all). It is clear from other windows that the springs can/should stretch so the spring extends outside of its PVC tube (pic 4).

The springs don't have a hole at the bottom to take a tensioning/fitting tool.

How are you supposed to attach such a spring? Do you need a special tool? Are you supposed to attach the top or the bottom end first? Access is really fiddly at the bottom. Even if there was a special tool and I had one, I can't see how you could feasibly get to the bush with the window in place (pic 8 ).

for background, there are two springs for each of the two sashes in a window. The window is double glazed and quite heavy (about 20kg). Sashes can tilt inwards (for cleaning) via a 'hinge'/spindle in the bush at the bottom of the sash. There is no access from outdoors.

The window is from 2002 and is out of warranty. Everest don't return my calls/emails. Local window shops, etc aren't interested.

thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Dont take my word as gospel here as I haven't touched this sort of hinge in 15 years + but noone else is replying so probably the same for them.

Yes there is a special hook tool but it wont help here, Its more for in the factory while your assembling the whole window.
I'm pretty sure its just a case of pair of pliers and pull like *uck lol

you might find some help on an American website. They use quite a range of "spiral spring balances" and parts, tools, replacements are available mail order. I had to get some Amesbury balances from Miami once, they seem unobtainable over here.

hate it when the mechanisms of upvc sliding sashes break ( thankfully not very often at all! ) , usually its the plastic sliderbush that breaks. We normally replace the slider/bush and leave the top spring attached and slide the bush up to the bottom of the spring and reattach.

It maybe the same procedure as replacing the entire bush on windows I've done in the past.

Looking at pic 7 Is it possible to remove the sash from the bush , tilt window in to 90 degrees and then gently tap each side up , the pin that allows rotation should be in a slot that should now line up with the outer allowing the metal piece you can see in pic 7 to be released from the bush( but still attached to the window sash ). be careful and have someone help you , as it is easy to jam them up and become very frustrated. You may have ' tilt restrictors ' on the sash as it opens in , some of theses are obvious how to get out , others may be a screw or a black plastic ' stopper ' . If you have restrictors they will need to come out before you can tilt the window in enough to release it from the bush. Once you have release one side from the bush , remove the other too... your bush without the spring in should now slide up to meet your spring to be reattached. To refit , pull the bush back down whilst attached to its spring , level with the one the other side , then , again with two people ( just easier ) line up the locating pins on that metal strip you can see in pic 7 and gently tap back into the bush...this bits important .... lean out of the wndow and check those pins are fully seated in the bushes, if not you WILL break the bush. Hopefull its all gone well and you can now reattache the restrictors and close the window .....

I hope this helps , just not sure if Everest with use the same system...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses. I have got this done now. There was no magic technique - just wiggling, fernagling and some brute force.

I managed to get the spring out of the frame and get some leverage on it. Now possible to stretch the spring. It was happy to relax in a 'somewhat extended' state (extended by about 3cm). Also, I discovered that when the sash was tilted inwards (in the 'cleaning' position) is is possible to 'skew' it to an unnerving angle (so the base of it is not parallel to the floor but at about a 20 degree angle to the floor).

These two factors let me get enough proximity between the two parts that needing clipping together to do so. Yay!

(I also managed to get in touch with the Everest, who weren't desperately helpful - pay a suitcase full of money for someone to come and take a look, but there is no guarantee/suggestion that he would be able to fix it. Well, maybe if you pay _another_ suitcase of money for him to come back a second time, this time with the right tools/parts). No opportunity to talk in advance to anyone with technical knowledge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back