How do you tell when your klargester is full

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Without it leaking over the grass.

The one I have looks full ish but it is not leaking.

Is there a test or measure used to check?

Sponsored Links
What type is it? The 'bottle' shape septic tank or a biodisc, (large green circular lid with a row of black plastic paddles rotating in the tank.)

The bottle type should have 2 'dip' pipes, either side. One on inlet, one on outlet. The drainage system from the property should be empty, no sewage laying in the pipes, and if you can look down into the tank, the 'T' on the outlet dip pipe should just be visible above the effluent level. If the tank level is above this then the outfall is waterlogged or bunged up.

With the 'biodisc' the inlet and outlets are easily visible, water should be level with the outlet. You dont want these getting too full as there is a risk of blowing the motor. (And the electrical supply to the tank....)

Try the **** test? first roll yer sleeves up,then take the lid off and plunge yer arm in. If the **** comes up to yer elbow and smells funny......then you need to get it emptied.HTH

Sponsored Links
Dip pipes are close to the tank, running vertically inline with the neck. (Inlet dip pipe shown on the Klargester picture, outlet just shown as a 'T' but should be extended to ground level when tank is installed.)

You may be lucky, the 2 circular covers could be inspection chambers on inlet and outlet pipes to/from tank. Lift these, if they are inspection chambers neither should have any effluent in the bottom. If they have, tank is overfull, needs investigating. Emptying may help, but if the soakaway field isn't working properly the tank will soon overfill again. Could possibly be down to a high water table, in which case its difficult to do much...

you need to put a rubble sack on each foot and climb down the internal ladder, if it comes up to your waste youve got a bit longer, if its shoulder high you need to get on the phone.

Not my favourite pastime either, but if you get a long stick and shove it down the inlet dip pipe you can generally feel the level of solids in there.....if its starting to back up the dip pipe then its time for a pump out.
Also check the outlet......that should'nt have any standing water, and definitely no solids.
(I have a large brick tank, but the principles are the same).
Its good to make a note of the pump out dates......I left ours for 5 years, and it was really full but still working - so I'll pump it out every 4 years now. Only the 2 of us though!
Enjoy.....
John :)

"if you get a long stick and shove it down the inlet dip pipe you can generally feel the level of solids in there."

That's what I did and there seems very little solids in there, I can feel the bottom of the tank and there is very little resistance going down to it.

The outlet dip pipe is almost dry and no solids

It was first emptied 2 years ago after usage for 3 years when it was backing up.
It is always tricky as when you lift the inspection cover there is the covering of solids at the top and I think is it full, but not so, or only with water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back