How do you use the Floorboard Saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes I have to cut up a floorboard that doesn't allow me to put a pad saw down either of the sides of it (usually one against a wall one side with pipes running down the other). I don't have to do it very often so I use a floorboard saw as I can't really justify the price of those multimasters for something that has to be done once in a blue moon.

But I'm convinced I'm doing it wrong. The only way I can cut such a board is by repeatedly placing the toothed nose of the floorboard saw against the board, dragging it backwards, lifting it away and then repeating. This takes about 700 drags and the best part of an hour. How do sensible people use this saw?

Sponsored Links
you can get special blades for reciprical saws or use a normal jigsaw on its nose
you can also cut with a circular saw on long runs and finnish with your floorboard saw
i personaly have a cut off jigsaw blade that only travels 21mm and with pendulum action give a slow but even cut
because it dissapears above the base plate you need to be carefull off catching the top

Sponsored Links
I have one of the Irwin floorboard saws. Not the best as the blade is too flexible. Its all to easy to put your palm on the teeth when your really getting into it! The first cut of the floorboard I always take my time, once you take one up You have a pretty good idea of what's going on in which case I get the Recip saw out! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back