How does halogen compare to conventional 60W

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I'de like to change my hall lighting from a single 60w conventional bulb to 6 x 50w halogen downlights. From a electric bill point of view will, this mean i will be burning 6 times the electrical power ??

Sponsored Links
hange it to a CFL easier, cheaper and if you like saves money

Sponsored Links
A watt of energy is a watt no matter how you use it, so 6x50w = 300w uses 5 times more than 1x60w=60w

TH lamps do provide a higher amount of lumens per watt though, but this is twinned with quite a directional light output (so you are forced to have quite a lot of them anyway)

recessed TH fittings are the woodchip wallpaper and polystyrene tiles of this decade though, avoid them!, nothing wrong with a normal pendant lamp holder in the hallway, and probably best to stick with a normal filament lamp in it as well, not a CFL (John will tell you different though!)

recessed TH fittings are the woodchip wallpaper and polystyrene tiles of this decade though,

You hit the nail on the head! They are on the way out now.

Any idea what will be the next 'in' gimmick?

recessed TH fittings are the woodchip wallpaper and polystyrene tiles of this decade though, avoid them!, nothing wrong with a normal pendant lamp holder in the hallway, and probably best to stick with a normal filament lamp in it as well,

Bilmey never thought of them in that light (sorry .. bad pun i know :oops: ) ... definately dont want be lumbered with the equivalent of the above

Possibly back to drawing board then :cry:

recessed TH fittings are the woodchip wallpaper and polystyrene tiles of this decade though, avoid them!, nothing wrong with a normal pendant lamp holder in the hallway, and probably best to stick with a normal filament lamp in it as well, not a CFL (John will tell you different though!)

I don't know where you heard that because in my experience 99% of the new build plans I see have either mains or SELV TH recessed lighting somewhere in the property

I'm not saying I agree with their over use but they are going to be around for a long time

One reason is a lot of modern properties have very low ceilings.

Not that I really care about fashion (as you could tell if you saw my clothes), but I have to agree with Pensdown - there is so much downlighting being put in new builds and as alterations that those who are against them seem to be in the minority.

If you are using 6 downlights instead of one 60W tungsten, then LEDs would be big enough. 6x 1.5 =9W. Instant switch on. Long life. and you could fit a PIR detector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back