How does my DIY effort at a consumer unit look?

BAS, the(unqualified, trade-less sad know it all) Minister for Electrical Installations without portfolio wrote:

And the reason that it's OK for DIYers to work to lower safety and knowledge levels than professionals is what, exactly?

It's cheaper? It's more fun to DIY? It's not that difficult to do minor jobs? It winds you up?
You frequently call people names like cretin, t*wat, etc. If you can't help in the spirit of DIY then go and ram your 17th edition where the sun don't shine, along with the other 16 editions if there's room.
35k know it all sanctimonious posts and not even a sparky- it's funny watching people thank you in the belief they're talking to someone qualified...
When you've finished being a t**t, perhaps you'd like to explain why circuits designed by DIYers don't have to follow the same rules for current carrying capacity, voltage drop, fault loop impedance etc as those designed by professionals, and also why once designed and installed they don't need the same testing.

I look forward to reading your reasons.

Sponsored Links
Question for rcd.

Looking at the photos, you have some circuits switched on and some off.
Do you have pwer to the CU and if so, what testing was done, before the circuits were energised. Also, at first fix, the cables should not be connected. If somebody switches on your breaker, you'll have live cables which could be touched.

The CU isn't the worst I've seen, but it is messy. It should not have been switched on until all your wiring has been fully tested.

BAS might be pedantic, but he's absolutely right about this installation.

I'd be hugely interested to see how you get on :) I'm about to start my own re-wire in the summer, but it's a re-wire from scratch, so I'm hoping it might be a little easier than patching an existing installation.
  • For a circuit to supply a given load, how would you go about deciding what cable and protective device to use?

• Do you know which circuits can be ring finals and which cannot, and what the advantages and disadvantages of each are?

• Do you know what the two main lighting circuit topologies are, and what the advantages and disadvantages of each are?

• How do you calculate maximum demand and how can diversity be used?

• What are the 3 different types of domestic single-phase supplies provided in this country, how would you recognise them, and what differences do each make to the requirements for the rest of the installation, particularly any outdoor supplies?

• Can you correctly identify all components and connections of a circuit by method of testing or otherwise? In doing so can you identify or recognise anything wrong or dangerous with the circuit?

• Do you understand how the way in which you install cables affects how much current they can carry?

• What are the rules concerning cables concealed in walls, partitions and under floors?

• What are the rules for cables run outdoors, buried in the ground or overhead?

• Where cables need to be joined, how should this be done / not be done and in what circumstances are different methods acceptable?

• Can you identify extraneous conductive parts, and do you know the requirements for main and supplementary bonding of them?

• Which circuits should be RCD protected?

• How do you propose to isolate your supply so that you can connect up your new CU?

• LABC will not do proper testing for you, and will not give you an EIC. You have to take responsibility for testing, particularly before you energise.
    Do you know what tests you would carry out on the installation - what sequence you'd do them in and at what point you would energise the installation, and for each test do you know what is being measured, why it is important, how you would carry out the test, and with what equipment, and what sort of results you would expect to get if everything was OK?

The thing is, rewiring a house, installing new CUs, possibly outside supplies, submains etc is not a trivial job, and I can assure you that it involves knowing far more than you think it does.

Asking questions here can be a useful part of a learning process, but they are not a substitute for proper structured studying. The key term there is "learning process" - you cannot learn all the things you need to know just by asking questions here. It isn't structured enough - it won't provide you with a way to progress where each step builds on what you learned before.

You can't carry out a job of this magnitude by asking whatever random questions happen to occur to you. What if you get something wrong because you have no idea your knowledge is wrong? What if you miss something because you simply have no idea it even exists, and just don't realise you don't know it?

Summer is only a few months away, and you haven't even got a copy of the Wiring Regulations yet - you've got a steep learning curve ahead of you.

• Thanks a lot for the info; that's perfect. The 16th edition link, especially. I'm a hardware/software engineer by trade, so I'm in my element with this material :) I have a family member who's an electrician, and he would be supervising, but he's ~50miles away and you guys are slightly more accessible for quick questions.

I'll stop hijacking OP's thread now :)

Thanks again.

By the time you get the point of needing supervision there should be no more quick questions left....

Sponsored Links
Yes, that's the standard wiring regulations. For DIYers it's not all you'll need though as it mainly tells you what you can't do, rather than actually how to wire anything.

I've ordered the 17th, raw, and a softer read for the train on the way to work. Cheers :)

Out of interest , do most electricians actually design circuits when they are doing a new install?

Right... but I'm not there yet. What are you getting at?
Sorry - I think I misinterpreted what you said - I read it as we'd be handy for quick questions when you got to the installation stage because your supervising electrician will be a bit remote.

Out of interest , do most electricians actually design circuits when they are doing a new install?
Yes we do and we should also leave the design, either a drawing of the circit and/or a tabulated version showing the calculations used in determining the cable sizes, MCB ratings etc with the customer and also place one near to the Consumer Unit.
This allows future electricians to see what changes have been made to the household circuit and goes someway to support the contents of the Electrical Installation Certificate.

Yes we do and we should also leave the design, either a drawing of the circit and/or a tabulated version showing the calculations used in determining the cable sizes, MCB ratings etc with the customer and also place one near to the Consumer Unit.
This allows future electricians to see what changes have been made to the household circuit and goes someway to support the contents of the Electrical Installation Certificate.
You must inhabit a different world to me - never seen any of that going on !

By observation, it seems standard practice to install "standard" circuits - not design for the specific installation, but just installing a circuit configuration which (presumably*) has been previously designed. Ie, "customer needs cooker point" = bung in a piece of (4mm ?) T&E & a 32A breaker.

As for leaving any design details on-site, the best I've seen is someone actually labelling the ways on the CU !

My guess is that the EIC will be filled in with "standard" figures (ie someone will have standard figures for max permission fault impedance for the sizes and types of breakers they use) for "design" elements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back