How does one get into car repair for a hobby?

The owner could do it themselves as long as it is to the manufacturer standard. I enquired to both manufacturers and had written confirmation stating that as long as it was done to manufacturers standards and using parts of equal or greater quality, there would be no warranty problems.
And I've seen lots of issues where dealers have rejected warranty claims. Often been involved in doing repairs that dealer won't cover.

Not servicing that I've done. Just as another middleman

It is often not as straight forward as it sounds

Sponsored Links
True, but that is a contract between the vehicle user and the finance/ lease company and has nothing to do with the warranty on the vehicle.
It is if they insist on a certain service requirement as part of the package

And I've seen lots of issues where dealers have rejected warranty claims. Often been involved in doing repairs that dealer won't cover.

Not servicing that I've done. Just as another middleman

It is often not as straight forward as it sounds
It is if they insist on a certain service requirement as part of the package
We'll just have to agree to disagree but I know for a fact because I’ve done my own servicing (after checking) on a Fiesta, Focus and a Golf that we bought brand new.

One of the stipulations on a used Range Rover we once bought to comply with the 2 year Range Rover used warranty and breakdown cover was that it was serviced by a main dealer. They offered me a deal to include 2 years free servicing which was to have at least £10k Landrover finance on it which couldn’t be paid off in full before 6 months was up. I took the deal, had £10k on finance and paid the majority of it off straight away leaving about a hundred quid on finance. I paid that off after the 6 months.

Agree to disagree happily.

I'm just very wary of telling people it's straight forward

Sponsored Links
Last relining I did was late 80's on commercials.

Wasn't sure they still do it. Dirty job

Not been a truck driver since the late 'eighties, but even back then 'elf 'n safety was a concern due to the asbestos.

I believe the industry has long since gone over to non-asbestos linings .. now the drums wear out quicker.

They did just this (and mentioned the asbestos too) on a wheeler dealers episode yesterday (the Polish Serena(sic?) one).

Instead of buying the full car, perhaps just buy something like a non-runner engine, or even a ride-on lawnmower?

Both will enable you to learn but, with the engine only, you won't have the space nor access issues of a full car.

Back