How easy is it to lay and cut Vinyl floor covering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a look but couldn't find much mention of Vinyl on here so hence the question. I've had a carpet fitter round to do the carpets but he doesn't do vinyl. He did tell me that it's best to lay hardboard down on top of floorboards first though, so I'll do that but laying and cutting vinyl? It's that thick stuff too, all spongy and cushioned ....

So can anyone offer advice to a reasonably able DIYer or should I get a professional in and not bother (it's getting close to Christmas and I might not be able to get one by then).

The carpet fitter for example said he precut the carpet at the shop before laying it in my home (and a very good job he made of it too) so is that a good way to go? Otherwise I have visions of trying to tuck a large radius of cushion vinyl into corners and cutting it badly.

Any advice gratefully received.
Ta,
Jon.

Sponsored Links
Lay ply or hardboard. I tried laying vinyl, what a bodge. Wouldnt try it again.

Line the floor, as any nail heads and joints in the floorboard will quickly show through the vinyl, and wear into holes as well. So will bits of grit. If you use hardboard, sprinkle it with a watering can the day before you lay it, and stack it. After fitting it will shrink slightly and lay flat instead of forming annoying bubbles.

If you lay it yourself, cut it slightly oversize and leave it to settle for a few days, it will actually relax to a smaller size when laid out. Just leave it riding up the skirting a bit.

When you do the final trimming, try not to make the mistake i did, of getting short tempered at a corner and cutting off too much in a hurry. Better to cut off too little and do a bit more later. You can usually leave enough excess to poke under the skirting neatly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back