What is the best way to prepare floorboards for vinyl?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Decided to replace the carpet in our bathroom for vinyl and would appreciate some advice on the correct way to prepare the floor. We currently have floorboards which I think we need to cover with plywood which is cut around the sink and toilet. I am wondering what thickness this should be - I have found 3.6mm and 6mm. Somebody else suggested hardwood but this did not look too sturdy to me.

Can we then just lay the vinyl on to the hardwood or do we need to put some sort of waterproof membrane down as well. Finally, I am thinking that we then just seal around the edges of the room rather than glue the whole vinyl down - will probably go for heavier vinyl.

Many thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
4mm or 6mm ply or hardboard will be fine, like you say, loose lay the vinyl and seal the edge with sealant, it does not need to be glued down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back