How easy is it to tile a wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a leak in my kitchen roof a year or so ago, it's been fixed now but it's left a hell of a mess - there's a crack in the kitchen roof and the wallpaper is hanging off.

Just by chance I think I have enough tiles to cover the wall where the damage happened, but I've never done tiling before, nor do I have any tools or the stuff you need to do the job like grout, adhesive etc.

I'd also have to either repaint the ceiling or put chipboard wallpaper on it. Again, never done it.

Is it worth my while attempting this, or should I just get a decorator in? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ha, somehow I knew I would get that response here.

But I think I'll hold off for now, my flat is rented not bought, so I think I should check with the landlord before undertaking such a task.

I hear these tiles are quite hard to remove if someone doesn't like them.

As long as you've got a dead straight line to start from and are able to keep even spacing between the tiles, tilling really isn't that hard. Only way you'll know if you can do it is to have a go.

Places like B&Q, Wikes, Focus etc all do basic tiling kits that include notched adhesive spreader, grout float (rubber, spongey one is best), spacers and a tile cutter. I've never had any probs with 'Own brand, value' adhesive before (tho most folks on here will no doubt berate me for saying that :rolleyes: )

Like you say, tho; check with your landlord first! Most wont let you decorate and you may end up losing your deposit if you bugger it up. :oops:

Removing the tiles is fairly easy with a hammer and chisel. It's scraping/chipping off the old adhesive and patching up any damaged plaster that causes problems.

Hope it works out! :D

Sponsored Links
scumlord is right, he's probably gonna evict me now.....

Surprisingly easy
I did mine.
Its pretty obvious if you get your level out that it wasnt done professionally. but it doesnt leap out in the shower.
I used big tiles, about A4 sized, and laid them offset (like bricks).

Surprisingly easy
I did mine.
Its pretty obvious if you get your level out that it wasnt done professionally. but it doesnt leap out in the shower.
I used big tiles, about A4 sized, and laid them offset (like bricks).

you just replied to a post that is 6 years old mate lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back