How to remove this type of tile adhesive??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am removing kitchen wall tiles that were fitted in the 80's, but no matter how careful I am, a little bit of wall comes off with the tile adhesive. I don't know what type of adhesive they used, but it's white and hard as cement (maybe it is cement?). Is there any way to remove the tiles without damaging the walls, or am I better off re-plastering? I tried using a heat gun, and the tiles come off a little bit easier, but the walls still get damaged. I also have the following tools for the job from the Tool Library: electric grout remover (could be useless for this job), electric scraper, pry bar, ball pein hammer, normal scraper, wallpaper steamer (I read somewhere that some types of adhesives come off easier with a steamer, but probably not this one). Please see pictures below. Many thanks in advance, if anyone has any advice.
thumbnail_DSC_2375.jpg
thumbnail_DSC_2376.jpg

Sponsored Links
replastering those little bits is, IMO, fairly easy, because a broad metal filling knife can span across the crater, levelling across the two sides. Something like Easifill or joint Cement (which is finer) is pretty easy. Don't overfill, becvause you will only have to scrape off the excess later (preferably with a broad metal scraper while it is still cheesy. Don't sand it). If your first attempt dries a bit below the surface, that's fine, do another thin skim with quite a soft mix.

mix it in very small amounts.

Start with the smallest craters and by the time you get to the big ones you'll be singing while you work.

It doesn't matter if the first layer shrinks and cracks a bit because you will be filling over it. Thin layers shrink and crack less than thick.

Plaster is much easier to use than filler, but mix up in small amounts because it sets fast.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice! I tried the steaming method this morning, and the damage is even worse (as per picture below) - I guess I'll just try to remove the remaining tiles as best as I can, and then repair the damage, if there's no other way... I think it's too deep now for filler, might have to plaster it. Thank you for the replies:)
thumbnail_DSC_2380.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back