how much old adhesive do i remove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

My bathroom has 50% old tiles adhesive rigged to wall. I'm using a scraper but fear I willl be here for days. I am tiling over the wall using Bal primer APD and then using Bal Goldstar.

How much of the old adhesive do i have to remove?

So far I removed all the peaks but chipping of the near flat flakes is very time consuming.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It can be time consuming but you really need to get all the ridges off. You need as flat a base as possible to tile over or it will make the new tiling more difficult & reflect in the finish; old adhesive residue may also affect the bonding of the new tiles. Depending on the old adhesive type, damping down with water might help or even a steamer but don’t leave it in one place too long or the heat will blow the plaster of the wall.

Can I ask why you’ve chosen APD primer & Goldstar?
What tiles are you using?

Thanks for your advice

I chose BAL because it happend to be on the web site I order my tiles from which are 200x300x7 cermamic. I spoke with the tech people in BAL and they managed to sell me the primer through my own inexperience

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back