How easy will it be to move this stopcock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move my stopcock about 6” to the right, where the green line is. It’s copper and it looks like it’s been moved to the left at some time in the past. Do you reckon I’d be able to just bend it back or will it need cutting under the floor and re-routing? I can shut the mains off in the street.

IMG_1575.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If you can turn off the mains and move it then do it that way as you run the risk of unseating the whole thing if you try forcing it across. It will be easy enough to do and give a neater finish.

Is there not enough give there now to pop it out the clips and see?

Sponsored Links
Move it properly. I wouldnt go bending it back...

Is there not enough give there now to pop it out the clips and see?
I think I’ll need to turn it off and drain it down before undoing the top nut. Just given the pipe coming in to my house a wobble and it does seem pretty loose so I think I might be okay. Definitely looks like it’s been moved to the left at some time so I’m hoping it might just spring back in place. The tap is not seized so do you think it would be worth fitting a new one when everything is off?

Move it properly. I wouldnt go bending it back...
If I did, is it okay to use a compression joint or must it be soldered? I can see there being problems getting all the water out of the pipe to be able to solder a fitting.

Can you see any reason for the pipe to be moved in the first place?
The wall marked by the green line doesn't show any evidence of a pipe running up the wall previously.

I'll start all over again and replace the lead with 25MM MDPE i had to do this back in 2019 when doing works to my house.

Yea, i would def solder. Just need to make sure no water in there i guess.

Can you see any reason for the pipe to be moved in the first place?
The kitchen was fitted about 25 years ago. I think the pipe may have been moved to get the stop cock inside a cabinet. New kitchen going in with a different layout and that tap will prevent my dishwasher fitting in the space. I need to move it into another cupboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back