How effective is insulated plaster board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I moved house a year ago and upgraded the heating system (oil). I have been insulating where I can to try to ensure the house is as economical as possible. My house was built around 100 years ago and has had a couple of extensions. The last of which appears to be a cavity wall where by kitchen is and third bedroom (above). I don't think it has had cavity wall insulation and is quite cold most of the time. However because it is an extension I am having issues getting grants to insulate it.

My other options are to think about internal insulation, and I was thinking about batoning and using thermal backed plaster board on external facing interior walls. How effective is this at insulating? Would I see much benefit? I have had a look around and I am a bit confused by all the products I could use including insulation wall paper!

Anyone got any views or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Batton with 2x2 battens and add 50mm kingspan between with plasterboard over, will help no end. is there a flat roof or a pitched roof above? if pitched, is there access? Is it insulated?

Thanks for the reply.

I will need to do each room of the house as I get round and decorate. There is insulation in the loft spaces although the extension roof is non-accessible. I did have the roof off last year so I know its insulated.

I guess I will loose a fair bit of space off rooms. Do you think it will create any problems with damp or mildew behind? I came across sempatap on the net, is that any good? Do you think adding a thermal wall paper over the kingspan would do much good?

I dont know anything of sempatap and I would imagine insulating wallpaper to be next to useless. if you have no water penetration into the building I can see mildew ect being a problem either.

Sponsored Links
I believe sempatap is about 10mm thick. It will be nowhere near as effective as a 50mm or 60mm slab of Kingspan. I can't see that the cost and effort of the stuff would be worthwhile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back