Insulation boards, whats the best way to do it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys, i am thinking of putting some insulation boards on the inside of an external wall, but i have a couple of questions that are puzzling me, firstly i read that the boards are fixed to batons fastened to the wall, leaving a gap behind them, the gap increases the thermal effect, is that the best way to do it and what size gap would you leave? and also, i am thinking about having some bedroom units fixed to this wall, would it cause a problem for someone to fit units onto insulation boards, and also would these boards need to be plastered over, at the end of the day they will not be visible.
thanks for any input

Sponsored Links
My understanding is that the insulation is pushed flat to the wall, no gaps anywhere. Use standard foil faced celetex of equivalent. Foil tape all joints so there are no gaps to create vapour barrier.

Fix 50 x 25mm battens flat on the insulation.

Then fix plasterboard -probably foil backed as the primary vapour barrier.

You will still have a cavity, but on the warm side Also your timber battens are on the warm side so less likely to get condensation on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back