Best way to Insulate 9inch solid wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new so please be kind!

New house purchase is immanent and planning of the massive list of work to be is being compiled.

One of the first issues is trying to get the place warm and free from damp/condensation by insulating the external walls. And here comes the questions.

Best way to insulate? I've been doing my research and it seems there are a few ways to do it.

External insulation would be nice but so expensive it isn't going to happen so Internal insulation with a slight loss of room size it is!

So how to do it. So far i've seen/read 3 ways of doing it.

1-Foil backed insulation direct to the wall with batons fixed to it and plasterboard over it.

2-Small batons direct to the wall or on small plastic pillars to keep the baton off the wall and therefore damp, to create an airway then Insulation backed plasterboard direct to that.

3-Large batons again kept off the wall with a plastic spacer with insulation mounted between the batons but held off the wall somehow with the plasterboard mounted to the batons on top.

Does that seems about right?

2 and 3 to me seem basically the same with 2 being quicker, simpler and probably more expensive.

Also my understanding is the moisture/damp comes from the war air hitting the cold walls so you need to seal it somehow. Expanding foam in all the joins and then foil tape on the joins. How would you do this if you used Insulated boards as the only surface to tape is the plasterboard itself.

The house has a gap under the floorboards with air bricks round the floor to allow air movement under the floor. So do I make sure that the air can vent from the space under the floor to the gap I create behind the boards assuming I pick 2 or 3? Maybe split the floorboard down that edge to allow ventilation?

Annoyingly every single external wall in the house except 2 very small sections in the bathroom and 3rd bedroom has a window on it. How do I finish round the window? I haven't got room to insulate to the same thickness as it'll cover a large section of the window so can i do the same with batons etc but using a much thinner level of insulation?

If you made it this far then thank you.

Oh and hello. This forum looks like it could be a very suitable source of info in the future!

Sponsored Links
You could dot and dab insulated boards to the walls and use plasterboard fixing foam and foam gun.

Window reveals don't normal get done because you haven't got the distance between the reveal and glass.

-Foil backed insulation direct to the wall with batons fixed to it and plasterboard over it

I would say thats the best method.

Highest u value bang for your buck since there are no cold bridges. And the battens form a service void, ideal for cables.

You could chip plaster off reveals then fit insulated plasterboard if theres room. If not you could remove plaster from reveals and plasterboard.

You will need new window boards.

Having used it a few times now I think I'd rather go with Gypliner - faster and cheaper to install than timber battening and easier to get a straight, plumb wall surface. The trapped air between the wall and the plasterboard give you a service void and the trapped air acts as insulation. Worth taking a look at

Sponsored Links
You could dot and dab insulated boards to the walls and use plasterboard fixing foam and foam gun.

Window reveals don't normal get done because you haven't got the distance between the reveal and glass.
Gets my vote, did all my extension like that.

The only disadvantage of dotting and dabbing insulation to the wall then glueing plasterboard to insulation is if you want to fix anything heavy to the wall - radiators are a standard feature, shelves could be a trial as well.

Yep dot and dab. Done that in my last house. Used plasterboard that was backed with 50mm insulation. Great result.

/\ This.

Avoid Timber battens, they just reduce the insulation efficiency. If your plaster is blown and you are considering upgrading services (e.g. network, electrics etc) then take the plaster back to the brick wall and either use fixing foam or mechanically fix to the walls and then tape the joints and skim. By the time you've taken the old plaster off, Celotex PL4050 insulated plasterboard wont reduce the room size by more than a few cm.

Note its cheaper to by plaster board and standard celotex sheets, but more labour needed. This will reduce the U value by at least 75%.

Last edited:
My house is also solid brick and despite the strong smell of bleach in the front bedroom, there was no real evidence of mold/condensation on the walls until 1 week after we moved in. I removed plaster to brick, battened the wall out, filled with 25mm Celotex, 25mm more Celotex over that (using foil tape), then plasterboard over that and the walls have been warm and mold-free since.

Doing the bay window and external wall cost me about £70 all in. I was lucky as Wickes sent 4 sheets to my house instead of 2 for some reason so I had plenty to use.

I don't think they are talking about 1920s houses with Flemish/English bond solid walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back