How far away from existing solder joints can new ones be?

GRC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Assuming 22mm or 3/4in tubing, how far away from an existing end-feed solder joint would you folks recommend any new solder joints be made...?

Is there any mileage in using some kind of heat-sink between new joint and old to dissipate the heat and stop any chance of loosening existing joint?

Regards, Graham

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
2nd question first - nope.
They often touch.

Er, excuse me? "They often touch" Expand, please.....

Regards, Graham

Pardon me if I don't, I'm big enough as it is.

Say there's 10mm of pipe in a fitting.
If you use 19mm pipe between two fittings, what do you get?

Sponsored Links
Maybe I'm not making myself clear; I already have an end-feed solder joint on an inlet pipe, that's been there as long as the house has. I want to add a new solder joint some way along the pipe from this existing fitting.

I'm trying to establish the minimum distance to go along the pipe, away from the old fitting, to where I can cut the pipe and establish a new solder fitting, and safely apply the new fitting without the heat transmitting along the pipe and disturbing the solder in the old fitting.

Regards, Graham

Solder isn't emotional, it doesn't mind being disturbed. It melts. This is an entirely reversible phenomenon. What you do is take the heat away when you've finished, and it gets all better again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back