Damp compression joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a new bath. The hot feed to the tap is from an existing 3/4in copper tube to a 22mm flexi tap connector, with a 3/4in copper olive. The problem is, that while not dripping, the joint remains damp. I've tried wrapping PTFE tape over the olive but it hasn't helped.

Am I worrying too much? As I say the joint is only damp to touch, and no water drips off it. Or should I try again to get a completely dry connection?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dry it off. Leave it for ten minutes then check back.

If still damp, strip it down and inspect he flexi for damage.

Reassemble with more ptfe.

If you over-crunch the olive you will never get it to seal.

If all else fails by an imperial to metric end feed couple and solder it.

Thanks for the replies.

Now two days later and no drips at all, but still very slightly damp - only shows if you rub a dusty finger over the joint. Was hoping there might have been an easy way, or someone (honestly) to say it's not enough to worry about :(

Looks like I'll have to strip it out and redo :(

Sponsored Links
Depending on what the water hardness is like where you live, you might find that the leak sorts itself out. I've had a few of these tiny little leaks in the house, and over time the limescale builds up and the leak simply seals itself. Look at half of the soldered joints in the house and I guarantee you'll see streaks of moisture corrosion around them where tiny imperceptible leaks have self-sealed.

Leave it open for access, give it a week and see what its like then.

http://dwi.defra.gov.uk/consumers/advice-leaflets/hardness_map.pdf

That's a good map and Dan's right. We're in the hardest area. Have a look at some other joints around the house and see if there's evidence of them sealing.

But to be honest, for the cost of a new flexi pipe, and/or olive, you may as well re-build it. I take it that you've arced the joint up as tight as you can?

Yes the water's very soft around here. I've tightened it up as much as I can, so looks like I'll have to try again :(

Thanks for the feedback

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back