compression joint leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there. posted earlier about a leaking Mira shower, where the chappy who installed the shower had put a push to fit connector on the water inlet from copper pipe to plastic pipe in the shower.

Thanks to the guys on here i was informed that this needed to be a compression joint, which I have been out and got and popped on. Now I have been told when these compression joints are used to use some PTFE, so I have done, popped the olive in and tightened it up and *drip* it's still leaking.

Firstly is there a need for the PTFE with the olive or together do they just cancel each other out and neither seal, and secondly is it possible to over-tighten the compression joint?

Thanks ever so much in advance, as you can probably tell, i'm a novice at this kinda stuff.. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Only wrap the ptfe tape around the olive a couple of turns and ensure pipe is fully pushed in to the fitting :D

if you have over tighteng the olive it will leak and you wont stop it,get a new olive and just nip it,let it drip and just nip it a little more til it stops dripping! thread tape is made for threads! not compression joints!

Sponsored Links
uggy10 said:
thread tape is made for threads! not compression joints!
That sounds like the kind of pointlessly rigid rule that you'll one day come to regret.

uggy10 said:
thread tape is made for threads! not compression joints!

Is that like :-
masking tape made for masks?
cellotape made for cello's?
closure plate tape made for closures?

video tape made for videos....... agh now then tiger you might have somthing here.

Duck Tape made for ducks? Or was it ferrets?

kevplumb said:
That web page says, and I quote:

"Yes, once again Duck® brand duct tape is adding the sticky stuff to the list of prom essentials. Innovation, creativity, and yes, duct tape, are all students need to cash in."

If a push fit fitting leaked maybe its the plastic male end on the shower that is faulty

nortimax - the plastic male ends are smaller than 15mm, hence the MIs always state that a brass compression fitting must be used.

However, this doesn't stop the people who can't/won't read the MIs from using push-fit fittings and liberally spraying the inside of their lovely new shower with water, thus scrapping the unit pretty quickly.

Depends on the shower, your correct MI's do the trick. Push fit fine on triton though

nortimax said:
Depends on the shower, your correct MI's do the trick. Push fit fine on triton though
Really? Which model are you thinking about, because all the Triton's I've ever seen require a brass compression elbow. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back