Shower valve compression fitting leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've just replaced a stud wall which held the shower over a bath and refitted the existing shower bar valve on new brackets with new compression fittings on the existing pvc pipes. I've just noticed that there is a leak when the shower is running from behind the hot water inlet. It must be the compression fitting but I have read contradictory things about how to fix it: to tighten more or not; put ptfe/other on the olive or not, etc. Where should I start in trying to stop the leak?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• PXL_20240115_215201564.jpg
    PXL_20240115_215201564.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20240115_215217283.jpg
    PXL_20240115_215217283.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links
Could it be because the pipe was quite short so I've maybe squashed or bent it too much to get it to the fitting as it was coming in at too steep an angle? It's the far one in this photo.

Attachments

• PXL_20240115_223432644.jpg
    PXL_20240115_223432644.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 21
Too much stress on those curved pipes for my liking.
Without knowing which joint is leaking ,or how you have made the joint ,its Pure speculation as to what's the reason it's leaking.
Does the leak only appear when shower is running ?

Too much stress on those curved pipes for my liking.
Without knowing which joint is leaking ,or how you have made the joint ,its Pure speculation as to what's the reason it's leaking.
Does the leak only appear when shower is running ?
The leak only appears when the shower is running. The leak is definitely at the compression fitting on the hot water pipe in the wall bracket connecting to the bar valve because the water is just behind it, as in this photo. Re the stress on the pipe, would it help if I put an elbow on it just behind the wall and had a straight section coming through to the bracket?

Attachments

• PXL_20240115_223424098~2.jpg
    PXL_20240115_223424098~2.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
I would fit elbows ,and secure / clip the pipes to secure them.
What type of pipe stiffeners have you inserted into the pipe ends where compression fittings are used ,not those with rubber seals are they ?

Never like plastic through to the compression fitting on the shower fitting kit, too flexible, I always use copper tails.

You need to take the shower off and remake the compression fitting if that's where it's leaking. What type of fixing kit have you used?

1705395292919.png

Thanks, @terryplumb and @Madrab . I've fitted an elbow on the one that was leaking because that was under the most stress, and refitted the compression fitting behind the shower valve (yes- it's like the one you pictured, @Madrab ). I'm using these inserts: https://www.toolstation.com/jg-speedfit-pipe-insert/p15795. It seems to have stopped leaking but I will want to give it a day or so to be sure (initially it started leaking from the valve instead but I think I had just left the pipe too long so I shortened it). If I have to put an elbow on the other pipe too I will.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back