how far can toilet safely be from soil pipe inlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, how far away from the soil pipe can a toilet be situated before the lack of slope in the pipe becomes a potential problem in terms of not flushing the waste away properly. I have two options in terms of a bathroom remodel - one is putting the WC about 90cm from soil pipe inlet and the other is a good 2 mtres. The 90cm one is also on the same wall as the soil pipe whereas the second option is on the opposite wall so will also need another bend in the pipe..

cheers

Sponsored Links
if the pipe is basically at floor level and the toilet is a standard height, I am not sure I will be able to get enough slope between the toilet inlet and the original soil pipe.
Was told today in plumbing shop that both were "too far" and I needed a macerator...really really don't want a macerator!

Sponsored Links
bathroom is stripped back to bare plaster right now - no sanitary ware in at all so might be difficult to see. I have mocked up some plans of how room will look - will post them later tonight - would very much appreciate if you could take a look.
The layout with 2 metre pipe between toilet and soil pipe would mean not having to have bath with shower under the window, but would have less floor space to move around in (door would open pretty much onto side of basin).

The layout with 90cm between toilet and soil pipe would have bath with shower under window (its all PVC with PVC frame) and basin & toilet against another wall - looks neater, no obvious soil pipe boxing and more usable floor space.

ok here are the two layouts - soil pipe enters bathroom on back wall to left of window, right in bottom corner. With option 1 I would still need to curve soil pipe around to go into box under window so it would be visible unless I boxed in that corner too.

View media item 26433 View media item 26434

Where on your drawing is the soil pipe? Is it internal within the boxing in the top L/H side or is it external to the left of the window. and where was the existing pan.

For the bath on the oposite wall you will need the pipe to enter the soil stack approx 50mm below the level it comes out the pan, this may require the branch in the stack to be lowered.

Jason

Six metres is the maximum run according to Building Regualtions, but as you have realised yourself, a good fall on the branch pipe is essential. 2.5º, or 44mm fall for every metre run, is the usual standard. IIRC it is permissible (but inadvisable) to go as low as 18mm per metre, the maximum is 90mm per metre.

Jason,

the existing soil pipe is in top left hand corner of picture - so depending on which option we go for, it will either

- Picture 1 - run across the back wall hidden first by box at end of bath and then by a box under the window and then have to curve into the new toilet. Back wall is 2.2m

-Picture 2 run straight down the left hand wall hidden by bath and then toilet & basin boxes (as basin and toilet would be wall hung). Toliet would be about 90cm from soil pipe inlet.

Muggles - thanks for the building regs info - I was wondering if there were any specific rules on this.

Jason - sorry forgot to add that the original pan was wall hung right at the end of the left hand wall close to the back wall - pretty much identical to option 1 but on the opposite wall

Without knowing the exact height of the old branch its hard to say but if you can get the falls mentioned above then you will be OK. Also as its a wall hung pan you can gain a bit of height by having the frame set an inch or so higher than standard.

Jason

Option 2 . for me ;) apart from `owt else - visually better from doorway - makes better use of small space.

With option 1 is there not space to put the toilet with the back to the window wall? That will remove a bend and the distance to the soil stack. If not (i.e. the door opens onto the sink) could you fit the sink onto the windown wall as well?

Hi pmx_super - yes there is room for the toilet on the back wall just about but you are right, if the sink stayed on the right hand wall, it would need to be too close to the door opening to get into the loo. The window is only 70cm off the floor so too low really to have a basin in front, unless perhaps we got one of those units with a bowl basin that sits on top and the bowl would be in front of the window.

I think I prefer option 2 in terms of space and also it looks neater and the soil pipe doesn't have to stretch so far - the only downside really is that the bath & shower will spray onto the window. I have found a PVC waterproof roller blind that may help keep the spray off the window (and also help with privacy!), but I know its not ideal to have the shower under a window in this way. Window is PVC with PVC frame and sill though so not as bad as wood.
Am trying to think about which would be most practical with 2 kids and also which would have better re-sale appeal when we sell house in a couple of years. The other thing I have to remember is that this is the only bathroom in the house now and the other half and I will be taking a shower a day each so thats pretty regular use. Eventually we are hoping to do loft and put shower room up there at which point we are likely to use that more - and keep this room mostly for kids.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back