How far do I strip back before new tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First time putting up tiles so please bear with me if I say something stupid.

I've taken down some old times and I am left with what appears to be three layers.

1.) Old adhesive from the tiles I removed

2.) Plaster (I suspect)

3.) Plasterboard

My question is - Do I need to strip back all the old plaster right back to the board? At first this sounds a silly thing to do but it doesnt look in a fantastic state. It looks very porus and brittle (A good dig with a metal scraper can take it off)

Even though this is in a bathroom, I am confused at to if I should apply a PVA coat first to seal the wall or would that ruin the new tile adhesive.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
best way is rip out plasterboard and start from scratch dude

Sponsored Links
The plasterboard probably won’t survive in any meaningful state, rip it all off & start again. But, as suggested, read the superb sticky before you start renovation & also take a look back through the archive posts regarding plasterboard, wet areas & tiling in bathrooms to ensure you don’t make any costly mistakes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back