How far down the wall should plaster go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you can probably tell from my question, I don't really know what I'm doing!!

Have just taken off skirting boards as I wanted to take up a chipboard floor that had been put on top of the wooden floor. The plaster on the walls ends about 10 - 15cm above the floor, is this normal? Or will I have to add plaster to the bottom of the walls?

Any help is welcome - a quick floor sanding is looking like it's going to be a lot bigger job!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Quite normal as the "skirts " will hide that part of the wall.. ;)

Phew and Thanks for the very speedy reply.

Can I glue the new skirts on then rather than nail them?

And, how do you remove skirting board from behind a radiator?

Yes you can stick them on. Our joiner use's an adhesive called "Sticks Like S**T"
As for behind the rads. take them off....

Sponsored Links
As for behind the rads. take them off....
If it’s a suspended timber floor, you don’t always need to take the rad. off; usually there is enough movement/flex in the vertical feed/return pipes to be able to lift the rad off the brackets & swing it down to the floor. You need to loosen the rad connections very slightly so the rad will pivot & check that the vertical feed/return pipe work is tight & if it won’t go, don’t force it. I once pulled one end of a rad clean off & it was tricky getting it back on again & the heating was on so the water was bloody hot; result water everywhere!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back